Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 04:40 PM

Default math.. of poker,how to use it?

hi,i ve receive mathematics of poker and starts to read it....im not a big math guy and wonder how u use this book?

i read a couple of chapter but i must say its pretty filled up by math equation,i shall look into it harder of course but i wonder if (to people who read it thoroughtly)this book is only to comprehend the maths equation or just to take the math as a proof of what is saying about playing poker as u should with some example is showing to demonstrate the truth is speaking about???
Old 08-20-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: math.. of poker,how to use it?

The math is there to reinforce the thinking process. What type of poker do you play? NLHE tourney/cash?
Old 08-20-2007, 05:13 PM

limit cash game,yeah i just was wondering if the maths there was just for proof or a necessity for this book?

i red a bit on optimal play and all...pretty interesting
but the math was a bit tough...
Old 08-20-2007, 06:38 PM

All the math that you need to be a winning poker player you have already learned in the 4th grade.

If you can count outs, calculate the odds of filling your draw, calculate pot odds and determin if calling a bet is profitable in the long run, then you know all the math you need.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:19 PM

Montreal, the math is important, but ... well we all can't have an economic degree.

What is important is their conclusions and ideas, so don't worry to much about the math at first at least. Skip the first part (the one called basics) and go to part II (exploitive play, chapter four)

Try crasping their ideas and conclusions, and if those aren't clear, then unfortunately you have to mess with the math, but first try to catch the spirit and message of the book.

And Phydaux .... if you're so smart, then why aren't you rich ???
Old 08-20-2007, 07:36 PM

yeah thats what i tought gelford ty..
after 1 st chapter i was like wow...
Old 08-21-2007, 06:42 AM

The first section can be skipped. I would almost say it should be skipped, because if you don't have a decent mathematical background u won't understand much, and if u have some mathematical background it's useless.

The idea of this book is to try to approach a way of play in a nearly unexploitable way ( even though it's close to impossible).
It's not a book about cooking, it's a book about thinking. When you go through this book, you find yourself thinking about many ideas you never had before, and I think that's the most important. U can find your way of playing, and elaborate many strategies.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:33 AM

I have another question to add here...

Most poker software systems use Random Number Generators... Don't these tools affect using math to determine your hand against the hands of the other players?

I'm totally new, and it's something that I've been wondering about...
Old 08-21-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Most poker software systems use Random Number Generators... Don't these tools affect using math to determine your hand against the hands of the other players?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would that happen? My answer is no, not if they work properly, and there is every indication that they do.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And Phydaux .... if you're so smart, then why aren't you rich ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Workin' on it, Gel.

Perhaps at the levels you play at, all your opponents are skilled enough and observent enough that you need to apply game theory and develop an unexploitable strategy.

I, however, am fortunate in that I still play at a level where most of my opponets are chumps who don't seem to think past their own two cards.

So simple, tight-aggressive ABC play will consistantly win big pots & steal little ones.

I know I'll have to step up my game some day, but right now I don't.