Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2006, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Tough spot with TT

I really don't like that line.

What if he bets in the range of 2500-4700? Do you just call that or make a min raise? Any considerations at all to what the turn card is?

Let's say he makes a 4k bet on the turn and you call. What if he bets again on the river? By the river the pot is now ~19k plus his river bet and you only have ~10k left. Do you call again, when you're most certainly behind, or do you fold having cost yourself half your stack?

I say if you're gonna continue with the hand you've got to push the flop.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:42 AM

Something must've snapped in my aggro brain and I pushed over the top of him. If I would've put some thought into it, I probably would've justified it by saying that he'd play AQ/AJ/99 in the same manner, as well as some other junk if he was raising really light to begin with. Also, he may find a fold if he has a hand like JJ/QQ. Truth be told though, I just didn't put a lot of thought into my decision at all. I saw what could've been a weakish continuation bet and decided I was taking control of the pot and the table. He called instantly with AK...I caught a fourth heart on the turn...blank on the river.

In retrospect, I like a call on the flop. If I'm gonna call preflop, I don't think I can just fold to his continuation bet on what appears to be an okay flop for me. He was also kind enough to make a smallish bet that I could afford. Without a K, he probably slows down on the turn.

Still unsure as to whether I needed to play this hand in the first place. I think not.

I was pretty disgusted with my play here, and the fact that I dumped off a nice stack unnecessarily right before the bubble.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:38 PM

I don't think playing the hand is a mistake but it requires a light touch. I'd call the flop and reevaluate the turn. Or I might be dumb enough to reraise all-in preflop. In that case I'm largely hoping to move big stack off his hand, but that depends on how much of a thinking player he is.
It's a dangerous spot, but TT is a more powerful starting hand than many people give it credit for.