Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 01:23 AM

Default I have been betting these rivers. Should I be check-raising them?

So I'm lacking some SH experience. In the past my standard line has been to bet-raise in these and similar river spots. Now I'm thinking they should actually be check-raises. Obviously, these are opponent dependant, but I'm after some general insight on the general plays.

Hand 1:

Flop: Hero EP with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG raises, Hero 3-bets, MP caps, fold, fold, fold, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero checks, EP bets, Hero raises, EP 3-bets, Hero caps.

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero bets, EP calls.

River: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero...

-------------------

Hand 2:

Preflop: Hero UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero raises, fold, Button 3-bets, fold, fold, Hero calls.

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero checks, Button bets, Hero raises, Button calls.

Also, which is better here? Check-raise-capping, or Bet-reraising?

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero bets, Button calls.

River: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero...

In the second hand I'm asking, as a general guide (with exceptions), that if a single player in later position calls our turn bet with 4 to a flush on the board, it's (often) a good spot to check-raise a blank river card if we hold the A or K of the suit?

Actually this stuff may be pretty standard? Called 'screw-plays' or something like that?
Old 07-03-2007, 01:41 AM

Location: always C/Ring with 3 outs and usually getting there
Default Re: I have been betting these rivers. Should I be check-raising them?

I keep going back and forth in my mind about hand #1. Part of me says that he's never going to fall for that, part of me says that he's probably got 2 pair or better and can't possibly check behind if you check. It probably depends on opponent's AF to determine which play is right and which is wrong

I really hate checking the flop in hand #2. It's pretty obvious you have a monster when you check the flop and then raise at every opportunity after that. Players expect you to lead out on any flop when you raise preflop, so just leading out tells opponents nothing about your hand. Beyond that, there are a couple different lines you can take, depending on how tricky you want to get. 3-betting the flop and leading the turn and leading the river can never really be a huge mistake though
Old 07-03-2007, 01:45 AM

Hand #1 I just call the 3 bet and c/r the turn. River I dont think theres much difference between c/ring and betting.

Hand #2 Do not check this river. He checks behind a pair too much to be worth it. You might even get lucky and he raises the Kh. On the flop c/r seems clearly better because he'll bet UI overcards but fold to a bet. Hope he jams with an overpair+hearts. He might also wait until the turn to raise an overpair without a heart.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:59 AM

action is weird in hand 1, but in general when you put in a lot of action on the flop/turn, you should not try to sexy rivers.

hand 2 i think is closer to a checkraise and the flop action is fine. most people will play overpairs like this too, so i don't like trying a checkraise here either.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:59 AM

hand 1 i call flop 3bet and cr turn and bet riv obv

hand 2 bet riv obv
Old 07-03-2007, 05:38 AM

i sexy a lot and neither of these are sexies.

Hand 1, the flop was dry and you showed a ton of action fter tons of pre-flop action. He has a hand and is going to be desperate to get to a showdown in a huge pot. Think of the psychology of the situation.. People often get more passive in huge pots because they just want to win the pot, and are less concerned about getting the most bets in. This is an awful spot to check - raise.

Hand 2 there is plenty of pairs he could have that want to show down that will not bet it for you. Plenty of people can lay down medium heart type hands too when you c/r this river. If you could narrow his range down to only hearts, then a check/raise is fine.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:31 AM

"there is plenty of pairs he could have that want to show down that will not bet it for you."

yeah

"Plenty of people can lay down medium heart type hands too when you c/r this river"

no