Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Math is God, Euler is Jesus

... and Euler's identity is the ten commandments.

I'm creating a secular humanist organization with these axioms, anyone here care to join?
Old 05-16-2007, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Math is God, Euler is Jesus

I'm not sure this is a very sound basis for an organization.

First of all, Euler was a pretty staunch theist, and his God certainly wasn't math.

Second of all, you need nine other commandments. This follows from 1 + 9 = 10. This oversight seems to throw a monkeywrench into your desire to be leader of an organization where math is God.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:05 PM

Euler's Identity is simultaneously one concept and ten. I know this is hard for most human beings to understand, what with their finite minds, but just trust me, God isn't limited by your concepts of one, and ten (and 3).
Old 05-16-2007, 11:12 PM

If math is God, and we can't apply logic to the nature of God, then does it follow that we cannot use logic to understand math?
Old 05-16-2007, 11:23 PM

Weird. I got past the whole trinity thing in 2nd grade (I think my math class was pre-pre-pre-algebra... probably a few more pre's in there. I believe we were on multiplication). Although I was a bit advanced for my age, so I guess I can understand the confusion in the concept of the trinity (I believe that's where you got the "3" from, feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

I will illustrate. From wikipedia:

In Christianity, the doctrine of the Trinity states that God is one being who exists, simultaneously and eternally, as a mutual indwelling of three persons: the Father, the Son (incarnate as Jesus of Nazareth), and the Holy Spirit

Think of it like a pie. I cut it into 3 slices. It's made of 3 things (the slices) and is still one thing (the pie). Luckily, I could easily visualize such a thing while simultaneously memorizing my multiplication tables. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit equates to the 3 different "persons". One refers to them all being pieces of the one eternal God. Kinda like a pie!

Unfortunately, Euler's identity isn't comprised of 10 commandments. So the 10 in 1 thing doesn't work so well here.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:31 PM

I'm really, really not gonna derail this thread. I'm glad the trinity was easy for you to understand though. None of those slices is a pie, however.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:37 AM

How can you say math is God when you people can't even agree on what math is? For example, are you going to allow the Axiom of Choice? Will your probability theory include Countable Additivity or only Finite Additivity? According to Godel your Math-God is not even Complete. There will always be additional axioms you can add to enlarge your Math-God. Not only that, you can add the negation of the axiom just as easily and nobody can tell which system is the really True Math-God. So whenever somebody points out that your Math-God is flawed by its limitations you'll just add another axiom.

Will you assume the Continuum Hypothesis is True? Or will you assume it's False? You can assume either just as well for your new axiom. Who is going to decide which Math-God your revised Math-god is going to become? Or will you just continue working with a Math-God lacking a Continuum Hypothesis Axiom and hope you don't miss anything important?

And who is going to be your authority on questions of Mathology? Did Euler assign a line of authoritarian succession? For example, do your Math Concepts really exist or are they just figments of your imagination? Will you go to the Church of Math-God Platonists or will you be Math-God Atheists and admit your Math Concepts are just creations of your mind that don't really exist?

PairTheBoard
Old 05-17-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How can you say math is God when you people can't even agree on what math is?

[/ QUOTE ]

...and people can agree on what God is?
Old 05-17-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How can you say math is God when you people can't even agree on what math is?

[/ QUOTE ]

...and people can agree on what God is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever heard of a Parody?

PairTheBoard