Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 04:10 AM

Default AKo from UTG. Capped PF 5 ways. What should be my plan at this flop??

5/10 Online. Texas Hold 'Em. 10 Handed.

Unfortunately, I'm new to the table so I don't really have any reads or statistics.

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero raises, fold, UTG+2 calls, folds, C/O calls, Button calls, SB reraises, fold, Hero reraises (caps), UTG+2 calls, C/O calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. (5 players)
SB checks...

I often get a little lost in these situations. Would anyone mind telling me what they think I should try to do here? What should be my plan at this point in the hand?

Any response appreciated.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:41 AM

Default Re: AKo from UTG. Capped PF 5 ways. What should be my plan at this flop??

I usually bet on momentum, but i'm not really sure what that accomplishes. Check/call is probably better.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:46 AM

Default Re: AKo from UTG. Capped PF 5 ways. What should be my plan at this flo

20:1, 2 broadway board and 3 people cold-called. No one is folding here, ever. Check.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:34 AM

Default Re: AKo from UTG. Capped PF 5 ways. What should be my plan at this flop??

First, you just are going to have to make the best hand to win here. You got four outs, and those might be to a chop ( a lot of players will Coldcall with AK, so that is certainly a possible holding for somebody here).

The next question is, what's up with the SB, his best bet to limit the field, might have been to bet into you, hoping you raise, and make the field face two cold, with the possibility of more. He didn't do that, so what does he want? Probably wants to checkraise the lot of you, and tie everyone to a huge pot.

Finally, if you check, what's it going to look like? A lot of players play strong preflop, and then try and get tricky if they flop top set. Your opponents at 5-10 have all seen someone do that, and if you cap it preflop, and check the flop with two broadways out there, they might suspect a trap, and give you the free card you really want.

I like check here, because you really don't have anything yet. You certainly don't want to get into a raising war on the flop, when you barely have the values to call a bunch of bets. And, finally, your check might look suspicious to some of your opponents, and you might get the flop checked through, and maybe have the opportunity to bluff at the pot on the turn, 'gee shucks guys, you were too clever to fall into my top set trap, now I guess I just have to bet my hand myself'.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:45 AM

Check.

Getting raised sucks because you have to keep spewing. You are never ahead, really, and no one is folding.

The big disadvantage is seemingly that you give away your hand, but you don't really. Those players who think about what you might have might figure you flopped a set of Qs and actually play more passively than they otherwise would have.

And capping pre-flop and then checking the flop is awesomely hilarious.