Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 02:42 AM

Default KQo from SB. What did I do wrong? What did I do right?

I'm just wondering if people can tell me how they would have played this hand. What did I do wrong? What, if anything, did I do right?

I'm most concerned about the PF play? Is it incorrect? Why so?

3/6 Online. Texas Hold 'Em. 10 Handed.

I have no reads or statistics on any player.

Preflop: Hero is SB with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Folds, MP2 calls, Folds, C/O calls, Fold, Hero/SB raises, Fold, MP2 calls, C/O calls.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero bets, MP2 calls, C/O calls.

Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero bets, MP2 calls, C/O raises, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

River: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero bets, MP2 folds, C/O raises, Hero calls.

All responses appreciated.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:09 AM

Default Re: KQo from SB. What did I do wrong? What did I do right?

Why are you worried about PF? I would raise always in this situation.

Flop is obvious. I wouldn't always bet this turn, but its good here for 3 reasons: It may clear up outs for your overcards, you have a monster draw, and you may win the pot right now. Simple semi-bluff. After the turn CO raise, I'm slightly concerned about a flush, but I agree with a b/c approach.

Pretty sure I'd have played it the same. Did something confuse you here?
Old 09-08-2006, 03:28 AM

Thanks for the response BenA.

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you worried about PF? I would raise always in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I've always raised in this situation too. I guess I'm still on my quest to sort out my blinds raising standards. Link. I'm just not sure about raising non-premium offsuit hands. Do you think raising standards should differ from SB to BB? How so?

As for the rest of the hand, I guess I was pretty happy with it. Just making sure I'm doing okay. I'd like to see how people would play differently and why.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:47 AM

Preflop is fine. I'm pretty sure this is standard. You probably lost.

Edit: I didn't even see that you picked up the second nut flush draw. You can't be that far behind your opponents range on the turn, thus a bet seems in order for sure. I might bet even without the frush draw.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:13 AM

I think you played it fine, the river is tricky but per default I would assume that there's a good chance that CO hit a flush on the turn and just c/c.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:46 AM

This is one of those hands that I think I play differently than a lot of players here.

If I have big offsuit cards, I tend to limp in multiway pots from the blinds.

1 - its a way of changing up my game, where I don't think I give up as much, as say if I limped from late position with these hands.

2 - If I flop well, some opponents might discount how good my kicker might be, because I didn't raise preflop.

3 - the most likely good hand that you are going to make with these hands is top pair. If you limp, you make the pot smaller, and you give fewer hands the correct odds to chase, so it helps you win more hands after you flop well, because your opponents aren't going to have the right odds to chase.

4 - If I miss, I can go quietly into the night, and the whole hand didn't cost me much, because I only put in a partial small bet preflop, and I didn't feel compelled to start the postflop action with a continuation bet.

5 - on a semi hit, like J9x, my opponents might give me credit for having a weaker hand, that hit the flop harder than the draw that I do have, and might incorrectly lay down on the flop or the turn.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:39 AM

I like everything up until the river, at which point I would probably checkcall. Indeed, when your opponent raises both of you on the turn, it will usually be the flush, and less often something like a slowplayed JT or someone getting jiggy with AJ/AT with the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Consequently, I don't like betting the river unless I'm prepared to fold to a raise.

P.S. It would be better for the reader if you got into the habit of listing the pot size on each street, even if you are typing out the hand history manually.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:36 AM

Chesspain,

I like a bet-call on this river. I think letting the river check through is a disaster. We'll get raised often enough by one card straights that I definitely want call a raise, and in fact often enough that I think it significantly mitigtates the added risk of paying two bets on the river.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:38 AM

Allday,

I think this hand is perfectly played.

I think the most interesting street is the turn. I like a turn bet. We have tons of equity, and do fine even if raised if the pot stays three-handed. The potential value of getting an opponent to fold an A makes this definitely worth betting.

-Will
Old 09-08-2006, 10:07 AM

i really liked the way you played the hand. i think that you coulda gone without the river donk. but it has its merits to a good play(i see alot of other hands besides the flush raise this turn)