Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2006, 05:29 PM

Default Limit Hold \'Em. Preflop Question. What to do when there are posters?

In SS limit games (and higher for all I know) there are often players who post after they have missed their BB. I'm surprised how often there are more than one poster in the one hand.

I'm wondering how people here adjust their PF strategy when there is a poster or two, particularly when they are first to enter the pot.

I had been more inclined to raise PF when first into the pot with late position poster/s in front of me. I'd often raise with good HU/stealing hands from middle/late middle position. The theory behind this is pretty basic. The more money in the pot, the more you have to fight for it, etc. I'm looking to take advantage of the 'dead money'. However, now I'm not so sure this is always the way to go.

I think the situation is quite similar to the 'Playing against a live straddle' situation in HEPFAP. Rarely will a player who has posted fold when it is one more bet to them.

I'm starting to think I'm better off limping with good drawing hands, and encouraging other limpers. That is, if I'm in early enough position to encourage other limpers. Otherwise, I think it's usually correct to fold.

Is my thinking flawed? Should I tighten up my raising requirements? Should I loosen them? Should I fold more? Should I limp more? Does it vary much if the poster/s are behind or in front of you? Obviously, much would depend upon the paticular table. I'm just after general thought on playing posters I guess.

Any responses appreciated.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Limit Hold \'Em. Preflop Question. What to do when there are poster

If the poster is behind me I greatly tighten up my range. If they are infront of me and they checked their option I will raise them with good isolation hands (provided the blinds are tight enough.) Everything ofcourse depends on your image and how poorly the poster and the blinds play.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the poster is behind me I greatly tighten up my range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? with one or two posters behind me I am somewhat more liberal with my drawing hands in earlier positions because the pot is going to be multiway.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:59 PM

Not to mention it's dead money if they're tight.