Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 02:19 AM

Default Calling from BB vs EP raise. What kind of postflop player do we want?

Say we are playing FR LHE and an EP raises. It gets folded around to us in the BB and we have a very marginal holding in this situation. We decide it's a close decision between folding, and calling. What do we want in an opponent postflop to make our call better?

I think we want an opponent who is aggressive postflop, and also one who likes to get to SD. I think we get better implied odds that way. Am I correct to say this? Someone has told me that we would prefer a passive postflop opponent in this situation. What else do we want in an opponent to make a call better?
Old 06-20-2007, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Calling from BB vs EP raise. What kind of postflop player do we want?

well we want an opponent who overplays ace high or ui overs so our pair that we flop gets good value.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Calling from BB vs EP raise. What kind of postflop player do we want?

We like a showdown monkey of course.
A passive opponent has the advantage that it easy to get away from, because a bet/raise really means something.
An aggressive opponent has the advantage of betting more, improving the implied odds for us.
I think I prefer a passive one, because it is easier to play against. I'm not sure though.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:22 AM

i actually prefer a somewhat tight, aggressive player. these are they types that will fire with very little and as a result can be quick to find a fold.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Calling from BB vs EP raise. What kind of postflop player do we wa

My own table image factors into this as well.

It's obviously better to get the greater implied odds from an overaggressive opponent, and especially one who can't fold a decent ace or pocket pair unimproved. However, against that type of opponent I'd like to have a pretty good idea of what his range is preflop--against a big-time LAG or outright maniac I'm actually less likely to make the call, because I won't be able to push my edges as hard (or get out of the hand when need be). I generally dislike playing borderline hands out of position against players like that.

On the other hand, and especially if my table image is good, I'll also make the call against a more ABC player who will fold that ace high or underpair, simply because he's going to give me credit for a hand more often than not and allow me to steal the pot postflop. This, of course, assuming that his EP raising range includes a healthy dose of non-paired starting hands.

The one potential advantage to making the call against a passive opponent is that he's going to let you draw against him for free pretty often when the board either misses you both or scares him. The huge disadvantage is that, because he's passive, your borderline starting hand is going to stack up even worse against his raising range, and you aren't going to be able to extract as much in implied odds should you flop a monster. And of course because they can drive you crazy by doing things like calling down with an overpair when you're value-betting pocket fives or whatever.