Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2007, 08:57 AM

Default So who is this unknown guy we sometimes talk about?

I am wondering what kind of player the usual, standard, unknown online SS full-ring LHE player is. I know they are all different, but what would be the usual tendencies among most players?

What kind of features of play would you assign to an online player you had never played or even seen before? At 2/4? 3/6? 5/10? What kind of stats would you credit him with?

What kind of assumptions do you make abount an unknown player before you make decision in a hand against him?
Old 01-14-2007, 09:03 AM

Default Re: So who is this unknown guy we sometimes talk about?

I'd say something like a 22/7/1.5. Plays slightly too many hands, does not raise enough preflop, and has some aggression and bluffs but not quite enough. You don't know how he plays, so I'd rather have "cheap" showdowns. You don't know if he's semi bluff check raising his flush draw on the turn, or he is slowplaying a set. So you just take a route that costs the least, but does get you to showdown. I don't assume they know advanced plays, if I bet a 4 flush board with nothing, and they raise they are not doing this because they think I'm betting it with any hand, rather they have a hand. Also, they won't put you on semibluff turn raises etc, but they might still call down expecting to be beaten just to see.

(there's 2 pages on MrNormal in 'how good is your limit hold'em'. They further add that MrNormal loves to c/r his good hands, and that he is using the semibluff a lot. Furthermore he calls too much, is slightly loose preflop and calls way too often fom the BB for one more bet. Btw, that is something I see many TAGs do as well. A lot of otherwise solid players call quite questionable hands from the BB against an early position raise)
Old 01-16-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there's 2 pages on MrNormal in 'how good is your limit hold'em'.

[/ QUOTE ]

!!

I wonder how it is that I don't own this book. I'm putting it on my list and moving it up to the top. Sorry, "Gambling Theory and Other Topics." You just got bumped!
Old 01-16-2007, 07:47 AM

I think you have done a good job in your reply HB. I think the the common unknown player generally plays slightly too many hands, does not raise enough preflop, and has a decent amount of aggression. I also think they call down too much and go to showdown too often.

[ QUOTE ]
You don't know if he's semi bluff check raising his flush draw on the turn, or he is slowplaying a set. So you just take a route that costs the least, but does get you to showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is probably good thinking when playing them.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how it is that I don't own this book. I'm putting it on my list and moving it up to the top.

[/ QUOTE ]
I own this book, but haven't read it yet. It seems to have good advice. I don't really like the way the whole book is presented in the form of a quiz...
Old 01-16-2007, 08:00 AM

I like the book, I wish there were more in this form. I especially like the approach where hey describe what kind of players you are up against. That's so important, and most books just assume everyone is the same. But... the book gives little advice of why. Well, they do say why they think something is best, but they don't explain it in the form of "plays" or "lines" or expected value as other books do. On the other hand these other books don't give many practical applications. You should read them in combination. First study the theory, then apply it and test your knowledge.