Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 05:29 PM

Default X Box 360

Since you basically cant find a Nintendo Wii in store anywhere I am prtty sure I am going to get an x box 360 for christmas and maybe a wii sometime after the holiday..
anyways my questions is

I looked at wikipedia and saw the difference between the core and the premium and really dont dont see it premium being worth extra money... I might buy the wireless controllers but tahts prob it.

The main question is I have a wireless network in my house with ZERO chance of running a wire from my router to where the XBOX would be... (Wireless G)

Is it possible to hook up Xbox live using this? How much of PITA will it be and will it run good?

Any suggestions on games?

AND wtf is the xbox live points system?
(I have never had an xbox or xbox live)
Old 12-11-2006, 05:46 PM

Default Re: X Box 360

Umm, hard drives are pretty useful, dude.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:13 PM

You'll need somewhere to store your savegames. So if you don't get a harddisk, you'll need a memory card. And the wireless controllers are awesome. Definitely get those.
I'd recommend the premium system.

You can hook your xbox up wirelessly. Microsoft have a wireless bridge for around $100 or you can use a 3rd party bridge. I have the MS one and it was pretty easy to set up and supports encryption.

Games really depend on what you like. There are a few games by now that have gotten 9+ reviews: Gears of War, Rainbow Six: Vegas, Oblivion, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter...
Burnout Revenge is fun.

There are two point systems. One is for buying small games and other stuff in the arcade on Live. You'd buy maybe 1000 points for $15 and you can buy a game like Pacman for 400 points.

The other system is achievement points. You get those for meeting specific goals in the games. Full-price games have 1000 achievement points to be earned. The cheap games in the arcade typically have 200 points.
There is no benefit in unlocking them - other than bragging rights.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:06 PM

Yeah I found a linksys wireless adaptor that supports the xbox 360 that I will prob get

About the hard drives? What are they used for? like can I download games onto them that I rent or whatever? or just for saving games?

What about using my own? is that doable? I really dont want to spend a ton of money but if its worth it I might..
Old 12-11-2006, 07:34 PM

If you are going to buy a 360, there is zero reason to not get the premium. You can't use your own hard drive, and without it, you can't save games, use XBox Live, download live arcade games, etc.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:39 PM

could a core system be upgraded to premium? I really dont need that remote or the headset and crap and im pretty sure my parents would just get the core since its cheaper
Old 12-11-2006, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
could a core system be upgraded to premium? I really dont need that remote or the headset and crap and im pretty sure my parents would just get the core since its cheaper

[/ QUOTE ]

The hard drive costs $100. Definitely get premium, core is worthless for the 360.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The hard drive costs $100. Definitely get premium, core is worthless for the 360.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to have a hard time convincing someone else to get me the premium so could I just get the core and pay the extra $100 and esentially have a premium (without the headset and the cables) or is there something else different?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:34 PM

Dude just get the damn premium stop asking the same question. There is no reason to get the Core.

Wirless controllers, Hard Drive, Headset etc. Were talking close to 200 bucks worth of stuff for only 100.

The ONLY acceptable situation to get a core is if like you said your parents refuse to spend the extra loot. If they wont then theres nothing you can do and youll have to spend the money yourself.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:38 PM

If your strategy is that you can convince your parents to buy the Core, but not the Premium, just give them $100 and ask for the Premium.

Yeah, the headset may seem worthless now, but if you start playing a game that uses it, you may like it. Likewise, the component cables are useless if you don't have a TV that accepts component. But you'll probably get one eventually. So get the system with the cables for it now.

A wireless controller + hard drive is more individually than the difference between Core and Premium. Just consider the headset and component cables a free bonus that may come in handy later.