Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2006, 11:02 PM

Default Wii internet/channels/downloading

I just got my wii setup.

My computer has dial up and i dont have a router or high speed connection.

What do i need to buy and how do i hook it up so i can download games/view channels/etc. on the wii?
Old 11-28-2006, 06:25 AM

Default Re: Wii internet/channels/downloading

I seriously doubt the wii can not connect without broadband. You could take it to a friend's house every now and then to get system updates. Maybe you can pick up your neighbor's wireless. DSL is only #15 a month, it might be time to make the upgrade.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:03 AM

there is a nintendo usb wireless lan thing you can buy and plug into your computer to create a wireless lan for the wii to connect to; i'd think if that computer was then online via dial-up that you could update the wii then, tho it would be much slower

btw, get high-speed...high-speed+packet8 phone = 50-60/month...same price as dial-up + regular home phone with long distance
Old 11-28-2006, 10:29 AM

Nich, I can't get teh Wii to connect to my router. I suspect it is due to my router being over 3 years old.

Is the Nintendo USB Wifi my cheapest/best option (I really do not want to spring for a new router).
Old 11-28-2006, 10:53 AM

u have a wireless router?

do u know what name it displays when searching for local wireless networks on your computer?

when you go in settings for wii and it searches for local wireless networks, does it list that name?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:54 AM

btw, u can get a wireless router for free after Mail-in-Rebate pretty often, while the NES thing will likely cost 30-40
Old 11-28-2006, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
u have a wireless router?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It is an 802b

[ QUOTE ]
do u know what name it displays when searching for local wireless networks on your computer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I also know the WEP address. The other computer on the network works fine so I know I have these things correct.

[ QUOTE ]
when you go in settings for wii and it searches for local wireless networks, does it list that name?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Wii finds my network and asks for the WEP. I enter it (the first WEP password as per the Nintendo site) and get an error.

I saw on the site that older routers might not be compatible. My router is a 3 year Linksys and it is not listed on the Nintendo site as compatible.

I cannot seem to solve this problem with my own technical ability and I know that 'hiring' someone to help will cost more than the $40 to but the sure thing.

If you have any other ideas that a non-techie could try, I am willing to give it a shot.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:12 PM

well, the first thing i would do is go into the router settings and disable WEP...this will leave your network unsecured, but u will know if the router is simply incompatible with the wii

if u disable wep and then try to reconnect and it works, you'll know it has something to do with the wep and we can go from there

if u disable it and it still won't connect, then get a newer router; it won't cost you much and since you already know about WEP, etc then you know all you need to know to get this set up

if u don't remember how to get into your router settings to disable the WEP, the address is usually on bottom of router, or else def in manual...it'll be something like 192.168.0.1 o 192.168.1.1
Old 11-28-2006, 12:18 PM

Nich,

I'll give it a try when I get home tonight. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:01 AM

Okay, I turned off the WEP and it still doesn't work. I went to the Nintendo site with teh error message (51330) and it said to switch the channel to 1 or 11 (I am afraid this will screw up the connections with my others computers).