Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Anyone travel a long distance in the States by car?

[ QUOTE ]
I've taken some pretty awful road trips before, usually due to lack of preparation. I'm on the east coast, so I'm not sure about specifics of where to stop, but I can give you pretty decent supplies checklist. For a road trip of this magnitude you will need the following:

2 cartons of cigarettes
1 large picnic cooler
1 bag of ice
2 cases beer (domestic, cans)
2 4-packs Red Bull
1 package condoms (optional)
1 functional radar detector
3 bags chips (doritos, fritos)
2 lighters (one backup)
1 portable dvd player
1 cigarette-lighter-adaptor cell phone charger
1 large bottle advil
1 large bottle pepcid complete

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't tell if you're serious or quoting a movie or something, but this post is stellar.

Also, echo the add five hours to circumvent crappy weather crowd. Plus, you're probably not even losing that much since you will likely be able to drive faster (and less stressfully). Then again I've always lived in a warm weather climate and don't even know what snow tires look like, much less chains on tires, so maybe I'm a little too cautious.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:15 AM

Tup brings up a good point, the 40 to 5 route is pretty straight and pretty flat for the majority of the way. The time difference might not be significant at all.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:22 AM

driving through idaho and eastern washington is a terrible idea in the winter. go 40 -> 5. both are really easy drives and will be no problem.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:26 AM

40 to 5 is the way to go this time of year. I drink coffee constantly throughout the drive. Don't slam it all at once. Just always be sipping on your java. The cheap stuff at the gas stations is loaded with caffeine.

What's up with the woman?
Old 01-16-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What's up with the woman?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's fleeing the country, she's obviously in an oil drum somewhere.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:49 AM

I'm not flying because I need to take all my belongings home [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] (you guys must get the picture). Actually, I guess I won't be doing the drive yet I'm going to fly home then after everything is said and done I'm flying back here to get my car and the rest of my stuff. All the info that has been posted thank you very much it's going to definitely help when I make the long ass drive.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've done a ton of long-distance driving: LA to Vermont, five round trips. Virginia to LA in February. Albequerque to Durham, NC with zero stops (1700+ miles).

[/ QUOTE ]
What exactly were you driving that can go 1700 miles without stopping?

My advice is buy a plane ticket. I don't see how this can cost less for one person when you take into account the real cost of driving and the time lost. I've done my fair share of long road trips, I drink a lot of red bull. I try not to eat too much junk food. I feel bad enough after driving 1300 miles, lunch and dinner at McDonald's will just make you feel even worse.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:55 AM

are you putting your stuff in storage? how long till you get back to pick it up? btw, i think you want to talk about this. It would have been easy to get the driving info without bringing up the wife.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:02 AM

Driven between MA and CO several times, most of them straight through without stopping, its about 2150 miles. I would not recommend this however, the time saved not stopping is wasted in recovering after arrival.

As far as driving through CO and WY this time of year, I wouldn't recommend that either if you can avoid it due to the high probability of bad weather.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:47 AM

I haven't driven as far as you're going to, but I've driven from Chicago to Austin a few times. Here's what I've learned:

1) Don't eat big meals. Eating a burger and fries is horrible for your energy level. Eat some fresh fruit or healthy snack food like every hour or two. Apples, bananas, berries, whatever. Get some Odwalla energy bars.

2) You'll need some caffiene. The problem is that caffiene is a diuretic. If you keep drinking coffee or soda, you'll keep having to pee all the time. You don't want to drink anything if you don't need it. The solution is to eat dark chocolate. It has some caffiene without the excess liquid.

3) Don't jerkoff. Ali's friend is dumb.

4) Wear earplugs. The constant road noise gives me a headache after so many hours, which makes me feel more fatigued.

5) Make sure your car is in good shape. Change the oil, check all the fluids, and the tire pressure.

6) The day before the trip, get a deep tissue massage. It will totally loosen up all your muscles, especially in your back, hips and shoulders. You'll feel great, and you'll be able to sit for a longass time without getting sore.