Buy in to $100MTT 16 8.08%
Party BJ 47 23.74%
$100STT 13 6.57%
Play NL terribly 28 14.14%
Cash out 5 2.53%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2006, 01:45 AM

Default Re: OOT IRON CHEF - 11/27-12/3

I have a question for all of you chefs out there. For someone who almost never cooks but has common sense, can follow instructions and is good with their hands how difficult are some of these dishes to make? I am asking this question simply because I don't know and I'd hate to come off as the type of person who I talk to about poker and they are like it's easy I could do it if I tried. I'm sure you are very talented but it seems to me a lot of being a chef is making good recipes and stuff. Anyways I enjoy good food but now whenever I want it I need to go to a restaurant and I would love to learn how to be a good cook so any advice from you who are already good chefs would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question for all of you chefs out there. For someone who almost never cooks but has common sense, can follow instructions and is good with their hands how difficult are some of these dishes to make? I am asking this question simply because I don't know and I'd hate to be the type of person who I talk to about poker and they are like it's easy I could do it if I tried.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cooking, like everything, just takes practice. For example, it's nice to be able to follow instructions but what good is it if you don't really know what medium high heat is? Everytime I make something, I get better at it. And, I think heat control is one of the most important factors in making good food. Heat control, along with other more subtle aspects of cooking are things that you really just have to learn through experience.

But, to answer you question, you could probably do a decent job if you followed directions closely. Though, perosnally, it seems like when I attempt something new, 90% of the time it doesn't come out as good as I hoped/expected.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question for all of you chefs out there. For someone who almost never cooks but has common sense, can follow instructions and is good with their hands how difficult are some of these dishes to make? I am asking this question simply because I don't know and I'd hate to be the type of person who I talk to about poker and they are like it's easy I could do it if I tried.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone can cook reasonably well with some practice and patience.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:43 AM

How to fix it when it goes wrong, how to tweak it to add or blend flavors, how to get the appropriate coloring and doneness, knowing when to add certain ingredients, well-sized dice and good-looking cuts, timing various aspects of a preparation, being able to work without a recipe, and more. These are the things that come with practice and make a good cook. LOTD had a nice post.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:09 PM

CSC,

This is still postponed til this sunday the 10th right? Lemme know been busy and still haven't had an opportunity to get some dishes done heh.

StevieG,
Looks like the filet's you received still have the "heal" or "chain" attached that part is generally used for stir fries or stew meat.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

StevieG,
Looks like the filet's you received still have the "heal" or "chain" attached that part is generally used for stir fries or stew meat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please indicate where, for instance by drawing a circle with MSPaint or some other means.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:28 AM

yes, Sunday is the final day. will post the polls around 9pm PST.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:45 AM

So my plan was to do a simple Beef Carpacio with truffles, and truffle vinaigrette. Clean, simple, easy. But, then, I forgot that you can't just go buy truffles at your local whole foods (apparently). Where does the home cook buy truffles? Point is, there I was, standing in Whole foods needing to come up with a different way to present Beef Carpacio. I was in the Olive oil section and was staring at different kinds of oils, trying to let the creativity boil. Here's what I came up with:

Beef Carpacio with Chili-sesame Remoulade

I make my own mayo, because I'm a badass, and that's how I do.

2oz egg yolk
1.5T white vinegar
1T water
1T Lemon Juice
1.5t dry mustard
2oz Sesame oil
14 oz Canola oil
Salt

1. combine vinegar, water, lemon juice, mustard
2. add oil.
3. salt to taste.

Now we fine dice some Chili peppers and add those. My original thought was to add some Roquefort bleu cheese to bring together the two sharp flavors of sesame and chili peppers, but the remoulade did that wonderfully. No bleu cheese.

Beef Carpacio

4oz Filet Mignon
S+P

Seasoned then seared on a high heat skillet. sliced thin and pounded thinner. Salad of mixed greens tossed in remoulade, sprinkled with diced red chilis and picked thyme.

I had a similar "oh wait, I can't do this as a home cook?" experience with my entree. Will follow tomorrow.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:52 AM

ah well, I see StevieG did the same thing in making his own Mayo. I'm a little embarrassed. I swear the Truffle Carpacio idea was the first thing that came to mind when Beef came in as the secret ingredient. The mayo was a in-the-store idea. I'm calling dibs on Dijon-pepper crust with romanesco and raisin-pine nut quinoa. That's my entree in case anyone beats me to it.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:16 PM

I like your plating better than Stevies'. The greens in the middle make a big difference, although the mayo looks a bit sloppy.