Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Call or Fold?
Call 14 77.78%
Fold 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2007, 05:49 AM

Default 25-50 deep

this hand took place at a livegame at the PCA the other night. i have been playing 25-50nl live for most of the trip and buying in for 5 to 10k and have been winning so far. i originally bought in for 10k but then someone comes to table with 3 racks of black (30k) plus some extra bills. all of a sudden it seems everyone is reaching in their pocket for big chips so i assume this guy is a known donk. i pull out a couple 5k chips and put em in my stack to cover the 30k.

as soon as the game starts 30k guy starts playing almost every hand, mostly limping up front and rarely openraising. one time he did openraise and showed down AK after calling a re-raise pre then flop got checked through. turn he checkraised w. AK high no draw and was called. riv checked through and 99 wins.

another hand he played he limped utg, so did a few others, nitty old man limps button, blinds check

flop is 8 6 3 (two hearts)
BB (tight young player) leads into field of like 5 and is called by "30k man" and old nit on button
turn is a 6 bringing backdoor flush draw and BB leads again for like 400. 30k thinks shortly and raises to like 1400. then nitty old man INSTA-raises to like 3400 straight (obv he's got at least a 6 with a good kick as I havent seem him bluff ever)
bb then folds and 30k man quickly raises to about 6 or 7k total. not much more than a miniraise. old man tanks and says 'i've got u beat now, i know that' and eventually calls
river is K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] bringing backdoor flush draw and 30k man insta-bets 6k. old nit tanks and calls.
30k man insta-mucks and J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] takes down huge pot

so my read on this guy is hes not scared to put his money in on bluffs and probably is willing to calldown light since he seems to hate money.

onto the hand:
young online kid opens to $125 utg
folds to me in MP and I think a while about repopping but decide to just call with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] since utg has only like 5k

folds to BB (30k man) who calls

flop comes J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
both check to me and I quickly throw 3 blacks and 3 greens ($375)
BB calls quickly and UTG folds

(~1000)
J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB quickly leads for $800
I eye him down for a little while. He gives me direct eye contact and seems very strong but this could just be a reverse tell as he could very well be bluffing here with air. I figure the Q to be a good scare card as it brings a high card. Mind you we're both 30k+ deep and I decide I want to play a big pot with this maniac on a river [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and that I should build it here and try to win so I raise to $3300 in all blacks. BB insta-calls

(7600)
J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB quickly checks to me

I bet one $5000 chip

note about my image: i have been playing very agro preflop trying to isolate limpers and attack blinds in late position and cbetting a bunch of flops but I haven't played any postflop yet so BB probably isn't sure about my bluffing tendencies.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:55 AM

Default Re: 25-50 deep

uhh, don't post hands here and in bbv at the same time.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He gives me direct eye contact and seems very strong but this could just be a reverse tell as he could very well be bluffing here with air.

[/ QUOTE ]

ppl staring at you = strong means weak.

not that im like mr. caro's book or anything...

i love the [ QUOTE ]
so I raise to $3300 in all blacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

raise in 100 chips is cool

i dont know if this guy will fold a pair to you, given your read? i dunno, i prolly puss out and check behind.

[ QUOTE ]
note about my image: i have been playing very agro preflop trying to isolate limpers and attack blinds in late position and cbetting a bunch of flops but I haven't played any postflop yet so BB probably isn't sure about my bluffing tendencies.

[/ QUOTE ]

it seems bb isnt a thinking player
Old 01-12-2007, 09:48 AM

BB doesnt seem capable of a river check-raise to me... then again, have you seen him check-call/check-raise large bets on the river yet? Or just check fold?
Old 01-12-2007, 10:42 AM

grimstarr,

its funny how this works. there is always this bad player at the table that only a total idiot would try to bluff, and I always find myself, like you have here, trying to move him off marginal hands. I have tried to bluff pete the plummer, which is ultimate worst player to bluff in history of man. I think against this guy u are likely better off calling the turn, folding the river, and otherwise making a gigantic raise if the flush gets there. There is no doubt that is plus EV vs a guy like this. Raising to build the pot is good also, because u will make a shitton when you get there, but you also will bleed off a bunch of chips a decent amount of the time and be impulse bluffing the one guy at the table u have no business bluffing.

-jason
Old 01-12-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
grimstarr,

its funny how this works. there is always this bad player at the table that only a total idiot would try to bluff, and I always find myself, like you have here, trying to move him off marginal hands. I have tried to bluff pete the plummer, which is ultimate worst player to bluff in history of man. I think against this guy u are likely better off calling the turn, folding the river, and otherwise making a gigantic raise if the flush gets there. There is no doubt that is plus EV vs a guy like this. Raising to build the pot is good also, because u will make a shitton when you get there, but you also will bleed off a bunch of chips a decent amount of the time and be impulse bluffing the one guy at the table u have no business bluffing.

-jason

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly my thoughts.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
grimstarr,

-jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know if you're aware of this, but you can't win the pot by checking.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
grimstarr,

-jason

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-12-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
grimstarr,

-jason

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
grimstarr,

-jason

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]