Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 04:49 PM

Default MTT Coach ?

SO, I am interested in getting a good coach for MTTs. The thing is, I don't think paying an hourly rate is very sensible for coaching.

I would prefer to do something like split my wins 50/50 with the coach, over an agreed upon amount of buyins/games or time . Splitting the wins would encourage the coach to take a more "proactive" responsive, as well as any student.

Is there anywhere something like this is done?
Old 11-14-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: MTT Coach ?

i think 9/10 coaches taht take these deal regret it
Old 11-14-2007, 05:14 PM

I dont really see what there could be to regret really, there aren't investing much other than several hours time, and could possibly get a big payoff. And, of course, the deal can be sided to benefit the coach more.
It doesn't necessarily have to be like this, but how could something like this hurt?:

For example: I am in the FTOPS $300 rebuy today. If I had a coach "at my side" I would be willing to give him 50% of my action. Meaning he is getting around $450(avg, addon) in action, and either go deep and he gets a much greater return, or he spends less time and gets the same "investment". A professional player's influence would likely boost the results and return. I don't see how repeating this same thing over a period of time could really be something a coach would regret
Old 11-14-2007, 05:34 PM

I agree with OP...this should be a good deal for the Coach if structured properly...

I do this for free for friends all of the time...

I qualified in a $650 on stars for the WSOP...because I did it first try my friend thought I could do this everytime...so he put $650 on Tilt and asked me to come over and watch and make suggestions...wouldnt you know he makes it as well...I was there for 10 hours or more and never got a dime...under proposed deal I would have had $6k...

I would also be willing to offer the same deal if the coach was good though...
Old 11-14-2007, 05:48 PM

Offering a professional player 50% of your action to be "at your side" as you play the tournament sounds potentially unethical to me. I draw a very clear line with my students about how active I'll be during live sweat. As far as I'm concerned, a coach's job is to help you understand the game better and do well in future events, not to help you make better specific decisions in real time.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with OP...this should be a good deal for the Coach if structured properly...

I do this for free for friends all of the time...

I qualified in a $650 on stars for the WSOP...because I did it first try my friend thought I could do this everytime...so he put $650 on Tilt and asked me to come over and watch and make suggestions...wouldnt you know he makes it as well...I was there for 10 hours or more and never got a dime...under proposed deal I would have had $6k...

I would also be willing to offer the same deal if the coach was good though...

[/ QUOTE ]

pos friend imo
Old 11-14-2007, 06:05 PM

also if someone coached u for the 300 rebuy, he be playing himself no? since it takes way too much concentration to coach on the freeroll, he'll be playing himself other stuff too so u never get coacehd basically.

coaching is for teaching u how to get better at poker, not basically just giving up 50% action so that he plays and you randomly gain pieces of knowledge.

also are u looking to get coached over the whole donkament? i mean do u still give up 50/50 if u only get coached say some random 2hrs in the middle?

im not 100% how donkament coaching really works, since every stage is different. I would assume that it gets broekn down into diff sections but sweating is a little bleh for the most part. In cash games its usually a bad deal for the coach to take action on randoms. I've only ever done it once, and it's not gone great. I remember bobbofritos siad he never takes it because its an always an awful deal, unless the student is a huge winner but in that case the student will never give up action and would rather just pay the hrly rate.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Offering a professional player 50% of your action to be "at your side" as you play the tournament sounds potentially unethical to me. I draw a very clear line with my students about how active I'll be during live sweat. As far as I'm concerned, a coach's job is to help you understand the game better and do well in future events, not to help you make better specific decisions in real time.

[/ QUOTE ]

focault you so silly, how do you expect to make profits without being unethical???
Old 11-14-2007, 06:14 PM

this is poker, not magic the gathering, pure skill alone will not lead you to the glory
Old 11-14-2007, 06:24 PM

I dont mean "at your side" as him playing for you, i mean like having his experience at hand, him watching the game and taking notes on your play to help you review later. The things like what stages (or all) of the tournament / coverage would be discuessed beforehand, im sure