Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 11:40 AM

Default River Makes me Trip Kings and Villian a Flush

Game: 10c/20c NLHE home game, 10 players.

Game is very loose, with some ridiculous overbets going on everywhere. Unfortunately, I had been extremely card-dead for the most part. I had recently won a big hand so I was feeling pretty good about being patient and picking my spots, until this happened.

I'm on the button, UTG limps and there is one other limper. I look down at AK (stack about $27). I raise to 60c, which had been my standard raise all night. Both blinds fold and UTG and other limper call. Flop is Kxx, two diamonds. UTG (Stack $20) leads out for $1, other player folds, and I 3-bet. UTG calls. He had been a pretty tight ABC player as far as I could observe, so I'm thinking he either has KQ, KJ, or maybe he has a set. The turn is a brick and UTG checks. I check behind, thinking I have him crushed and maybe he'll be the river if I show weakness. River is the king of diamonds and he goes all-in. I was sure sure sure he had a weaker king than me, so I instacall and then he turns over Q9d for the nut flush (I held the Ace of diamonds).

I guess I really should have bet the turn hard to take down the pot. I was a little afraid he might be slowplaying a monster and I just did not think he would call a 3-bet on a draw. I think one of the weaknesses in my game is not being aggressive enough when needed. Any comments?
Old 08-03-2007, 11:50 AM

Default Re: River Makes me Trip Kings and Villian a Flush

I haven't done the math of the stack sizes but a shove on the turn brick might have been a good mover. If he has the set, so be it.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:56 PM

You need to bet big on the turn after his check. Letting him have the free card was the mistake.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:08 PM

Tight ABC player shoves when flush card hits. I think he's telling you he can beat 3 kings and possibly even beat the flush. Based on your description of him I was a little surprised he only had the Q high flush. Expected Ace high or a boat so I guess he's not quite ABC (or we define ABC players differently)

Also sounds like you can't decide if you have him dominated or vice versa. You mention mabe he has a "set" or "a monster". If he had a set on the flop the river gives him a boat. Whats his range for pushing on the river? 3 Kings with weak kicker? Does he really think you'll call an all in bet with a worse hand than that? Boards paired and possible flush. Would you call with pocket Queens or Jacks? Think about it.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:11 PM

Sigh, actually two mistakes, not betting the turn and calling the river. What would have been the appropriate bet on the turn? Pot-sized? Shove? I'm generally loathe to shove with TPTK. I think I just checked bc I just didn't know how much to bet to get him out. Both of our stacks were more than twice the size of the pot on the turn.