Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Best line on the turn?

Reading some of the other responses to this thread brought up something...

Limit --> NL players tend to check-raise too much.
NL --> Limit players complain nobody folds, and they can't protect their hands because they haven't learned how to use the check-raise to chase out people.

Comments?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NL --> Limit players complain nobody folds, and they can't protect their hands because they haven't learned how to use the check-raise to chase out people.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is somewhat true but I wouldn't say its a direct comparison to the phenomenon of limit players CRing too much in NL. The reason is NL players who make this complaint are showing more of a fundamental error in understanding WHY a winning player wins at limit hold'em. It's not a "hand protection" game, it's a value betting game. NL players miss easy value bets in limit all the time. Limit players tend to over-value bet where there is no value in NL but I think the first mistake is much worse. I think that's why good players at both games feel its easier to go from limit to NL, you already know how to hand read and value bet now you just have to temper it appropriately.

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-06-2007, 10:12 AM

I like raising preflop 1 or 2 limpers almost always fold and u get a profitable c bet on the flop. like 4 2 said its easy not to felt this hand or get pot stuck

id never cr the flop here, I dont mind ck'ing and seeing what happens but Id call and likely fold to a PSB on the turn 3 ways (sometimes Id donk the flop or turn if villains are passive or button is only likely to take one stab but that means hed have to be willing to take a stab 4 way which many players wont in unraised pots since its not worth it).
Old 08-06-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not a "hand protection" game, it's a value betting game.

[/ QUOTE ]
So is NL. I think the rest of your post is excellent, but implying that NL is about protecting your hand is wrong. "Protecting your hand" is the first concept many poker players learn, and it's one that should be unlearned as quickly as possible on the way to becoming a good poker player. Someone on 2+2 said it well when he said NL is about protecting your stack, rather than your hand.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:09 PM

Ahh good point Jigsaws, I didn't mean to imply that, only that NL players going to limit think this way about limit. Perhaps that just shows they suck at NL too? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-DeathDonkey