Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Construction Lien

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am not certain this is correct, but even if it is, it won't work. If the company went through the trouble of filing a lien, they will certainly proceed to foreclose on the lien before time runs out.

This is stupid advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

With respect to the part I bolded, you could not be more wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously? What company would file a lien and then not follow through and get their money? That's insane.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am not certain this is correct, but even if it is, it won't work. If the company went through the trouble of filing a lien, they will certainly proceed to foreclose on the lien before time runs out.

This is stupid advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

With respect to the part I bolded, you could not be more wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously? What company would file a lien and then not follow through and get their money? That's insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

The contractor in this thread claims to be owed $500. He files a lien at minimal (if any) cost. In most jurisdictions, a corporation cannot appear in a lawsuit without an attorney. So, assuming the contractor operates as a corporation (which most do in order to avoid personal liability when they go belly up), he has to get a lawyer to start an action to foreclose the lien. On the cheap it will cost him much more than $500. Hence, the contractor does not seek to foreclose the lien, and the lien lapses. For small liens, it happens all the time.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hence, the contractor does not seek to foreclose the lien, and the lien lapses. For small liens, it happens all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting. So the lien is just a scare tactic, eh? In that case, I retract my comment. Go with Seether's advice. Point and laugh in six months.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:54 AM

Yeah, this whole situation is pretty lame. I work for a plumbing supply house, and we have to file leins on property, personal belongings, etc. wherever possible when we don't get paid by the contractors. Big jobs can mean payments 3-4 months out, and in PA lein rights expire after 6 months, I believe. I wouldn't sweat it too much, getting in touch with the GC and sub is your best bet- the situation should be resolved there, not with an expensive lawyer (your last resort). Good luck!
Old 07-18-2007, 04:04 PM

Also, Check with your state agency (builders/Real Estate etc.) on this, they are the ones that can help you get the lien released without a lawyer.