Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Rank the Final Four Coaches

Please list some programs that wouldn't recruit top 30 players in college basketball? Please list them. The article you think you read makes no sense. No team in this country can afford to reject top 30 recruits. Yes Conley has been better than the 30th best freshman in the country. The only freshman who have had significantly better years are Durant and Oden. You must also remember, the recruiting services are good but not perfect.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:39 PM

"
Please list some programs that wouldn't recruit top 30 players in college basketball? Please list them. "

i will readily admit i dont know much about bball recruiting. i was goin by what i read by some hack for espn. i suppose that was my fault.

secondly, my for my only assessment i was pretty much just asking if yall felt that a 20th ranked recruit is expected to perform as well as conley. it seemed to me that conleys has played far better than expected.

to this assertion i was barraged with a series of one liners about how stupid i must be. i suppose most of the forum made a fortune on player props on conley for the year.

yall are genius, feel smug.

capone, however, gave me some thoughtful answers ty.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:03 PM

there are 300 division 1 programs. probably around 700-900 freshmen a year comming into the game. think about that then think about how good top 20 would be.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:27 AM

Conley could have gone to ANY school he wanted to. The real story was Daequan Cook was the first one among the freshmen trio to commit to OSU and somehow convinced both Oden and Conley to go to OSU as well. As one of the poster stated, there is not a single school that would reject a top 30 ranked recruit in the nation. Only a team that has the caliber of USC football can do so (the story of Carroll lining up players and choosing who he wants instead of recruits them) and college basketball does not have such a powerhouse.
Below is the list of the recruits that were ranked ahead of Conley from 2006 (according to Scout.com)

Tywon Lawson
Wayne Ellington
Kevin Durant
Brandan Wright
Greg Oden
Sherron Collins
Daequan Cook
Thaddeus Young
Darrell Arthur
Spencer Hawes
Javaris Crittenton
Jon Scheyer
Chase Budinger
Vernon Macklin
Brook Lopez

Eh, some of these players mentioned above have done a lot for their team in their season without having a top-notched, future NBA first pick overall center and another top 10 recruit coming out of high school with him. Conley would have been in serious contention for freshman of the year had it not been Durant/Oden's year.

Anyways, back to the topic.
1. Howland
2. Donovan
3. JT III
4. Matta
Donovan is up there though, i have to give it to him. He's built a football school into a house full of gator chompers that don't show much class after winning a game. But he is a great coach.

JT III and Matta aren't bad but are definitely out of the leagues of Howland and Donovan.

Other honorable mention coaches:
Coach K
Pitino
Tom Izzo

Don't know yet:
Bill Self
Tony Bennett (fluke)
John Calipari (Easy conf FTW?)

Dishonorable mention:
Rick Barnes (about time to win something?)

I'm tired. Please let me know if I omitted someone important.