Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 09:08 AM

Default Is it worth arguing …

with theists and atheists?

Personal experience:
I have a close friend who gradually changed his position from believing in a ‘God from the bible’ into believing into some kind of ‘destiny’ or order that exists in the world. (Not a bad idea BTW.) But from the beginning of our friendship he was able to listen and understand the arguments and evidence. When we discussed the concept of evolution or origin of the world, he understood that the contemporary concepts fit our observations and experience much better than the concepts presented by the bible.
On the other hand I know some people with whom I even don’t try to discuss this subject, because they always dismiss the evidence one way or another. It doesn’t make them bad in anyway, I know some very nice people who are faithful theists and I can enjoy a conversation with them. I just don’t try to touch this sensitive spot.

General mindset.
It still astonishes me a bit, as it seems quite simple. Take a hypothesis, test it according to the evidence/real world experience, then take another one test it, compare and choose the one that fits best as a temporary ‘truth’. Look for other good hypothesis in the mean time. That’s all it takes to convert from believing in all kind of non-sense into a solid agnostic/atheist. It is hard to argue that hypothesis of evolution is far more useful than hypothesis of creationism, etc.

Some people just don’t get it and I found that it is a waste of time to argue with them.

Question.
So, my question: Why some intelligent atheist in this forum like to argue with theists?
I really want to know BTW.

As for theists, I can probably guess their answer, but for the sake of equality:
Why a few theists still in this forum like to argue with atheists?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Is it worth arguing …

[ QUOTE ]
So, my question: Why some intelligent atheist in this forum like to argue with theists?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, some atheists, me included, will want to argue because the theist position is absolutely and totally untenable and, what is much worse can lead to great injustice, if not evil, as is very evident from history. The theist position is a giving up, to my mind, and absolute refusal to make an effort to redress the inherent suffering experienced by living humans and animals alike. Atheism is the empathic position per excellence, theism is the acceptance of what is, to say the least, accepting the inhumane fate.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, some atheists, me included, will want to argue because the theist position is absolutely and totally untenable and, what is much worse can lead to great injustice, if not evil, as is very evident from history. The theist position is a giving up, to my mind, and absolute refusal to make an effort to redress the inherent suffering experienced by living humans and animals alike. Atheism is the empathic position per excellence, theism is the acceptance of what is, to say the least, accepting the inhumane fate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you trying to persuade them? So to say, convert into atheism?
As I said it's impossible to do with some people IMO.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you trying to persuade them? So to say, convert into atheism?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO, I am trying to confront them with the lies by which they live their lives! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2007, 09:45 AM

Its like taking the time to argue with someone from NAMBLA.

Because we feel its the right thing to do.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I would classify myself as more of a dim-witted strong-agnostic, but I will answer anyway [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I enjoy open and honest discussion--for any topic--because I am interested in learning about the place where we exist. If there is anything I would want theists to understand, it's that reasonable people are open to being wrong about everything. It would make me happy to shed my false theories and replace them with true ones, even if it might be jarring at first. So, I engage in these discussions because it is a good way to learn from other people *and* strengthen my positions.

Convincing others isn't really my intention going in since most people who participate in these "debates" are not being intellectually honest and are incapable of being swayed by reason or supporting their own position reasonably. Fighting the good fight is worth it though imo.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:31 PM

Let me (and not a theist) be the first to state the obvious. Atheists can believe in just as funky stuff as theists can 'all kinds of nonsense' as you call it, they just don't believe in god. Vice versa there is also no lack of theists who are able to think logically, who have scientific backgrounds etc. etc.

As for arguing I'd think what you see here is for the most part a group of people who likes the argue/debate.

It is also intellectually healthy. Sure, it is rare that someone waves the flag and says 'you're right, I was wrong'. But I'm fairly certain that as a debate rages some of people are sometimes going 'aaw man, he has a point' which can lead to subtle shifts in opinion over time.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:36 PM

I argue with the theists for my benefit, not theirs.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I argue with the theists for my benefit, not theirs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting. I never really thought of it like that. I argue with them because I feel like they are mistaken, and if I were mistaken, I would want people to show me how and why. (Note that I am very much open to currently being mistaken... we are probably all "wrong", theists and atheists alike, in the grand scheme of things anyway.)
Old 09-24-2007, 01:09 PM

I mainly post because it's entertaining. I enjoy reading the views of other people, and expressing my own. I also like to pretend that it makes me a better communicator and sharpens my knowledge and understanding of the issues.