Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Observed a player steal from another while coloring down. My action?

5/10 NL last night at Resorts EC. Seat 6 is a total novice with no clue whats going on. He's playing almost entirely in green. Seat 5 is a regular in this game and stuck a few racks. All the dealers and floor people know him by name, nickname(s), and by all the big hands he's won/lost.

Situation: Seat 6 is in a hand. Seat 5 asks if he wants some color to play with and pulls out a stack of red. Seat 6 accepts the stack and tosses over 5 green, still thinking about the hand he's in. Seat 5 looks at the green, then decides to pick it up like nothing happened. Seat 8, friend of seat 5, sees this and starts saying something about "bad karma, bad bad karma." A few hands later he's still talking about karma, looks at the dealer, and says something like "Tell him the type of bad karma he's getting into." I'm in the 10 seat so I can't see the expression on the dealer's face but I presume the dealer saw it as well, as it was a seat 5/seat 6 transaction directly in front of him.

I'm in the 10 seat, not involved in the hand and not wanting to make enemies at the table. Should I have said something?

The Doc
Old 07-08-2007, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Observed a player steal from another while coloring down. My action?

You just say something like "I think you got one too many chips" in a non-accusing voice.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Observed a player steal from another while coloring down. My actio

step on his throat
Old 07-08-2007, 11:13 PM

Was this at Table 12? This definitley seems like something seat 5 would do. Earlier in the night one of my green chips rolled away from me and seat 5 took it and put it in his stack. I had to ask him 5 times before he gave it back.

BTW, I was in seat 1, than took seat 2 when Kyle left. If you remember me.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:16 PM

Agree with Dynasty. I am not surprised at all that a "buddy-buddy" dealer wouldn't say anything. Seems like alot of dealers become TOO good of friends with the regulars.

Also, if this jerk will steal $25 in a situation like this....you better watch your wallet. A thief is a thief in my book.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:17 PM

I definitely say something but I wouldn't fault you for being silent.

I like dynasty's approach of saying something (after the hand) along the lines of 'did he (seat 6) just give you 5 greenbirds by accident?' so that seat 5 can play it off as it not being his mistake and so that 6 does not get screwed.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was this at Table 12? This definitley seems like something seat 5 would do. Earlier in the night one of my green chips rolled away from me and seat 5 took it and put it in his stack. I had to ask him 5 times before he gave it back.

BTW, I was in seat 1, than took seat 2 when Kyle left. If you remember me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think I remember you....seat 5 took a big pot off you with K9 and you left not too long afterward? Or I have you confused with someone else?

The Doc
Old 07-08-2007, 11:21 PM

I would have said something in a joking manner.

"you tip $25 for a color change, nice guy"

"I'll give you all the stacks of red you want if you give me that much back"

No human being is going to not give it back, or claim that he only recieved 4 greens. If he does the table should join in kicking his ass.

The dealer really should be the one to say something though, if he saw of course.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agree with Dynasty. I am not surprised at all that a "buddy-buddy" dealer wouldn't say anything. Seems like alot of dealers become TOO good of friends with the regulars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get that impression at lot at the Resorts room because its a small setting and it seems to be a pretty consistent group of regulars that keeps the 5/10 game going. I've been playing there a lot more lately and don't want to be in the position of making enemies, but also dont want the regular in seat 5 to go on acting like he owns the place. Didn't know if it was a caveat emptor situation or not.

The Doc
Old 07-08-2007, 11:53 PM

Are all of you guys losers without backbones? Whats with all this "i would of jokingly said", "in a non accusing voice", etc, and worst of all, just remain silent altogether.

The guy str8 up stole $25, from a rookie no less. And all you guys are gonna do is just be playful with the guy? Or worst of all, not say anything at all?

Please explain to me cause i am having a hard time understanding this. Is stealing at the poker table any different then stealing from any other facet of life?

My post may sound harsh but all you guys seriously need to grow a set of balls. What you should do in this situation(what i would do), is to tell seat 5 to immediatly return the extra chip that doesnt belong to him in a stern voice. Non of this joking, non accusing, nonsense. Why would you even use a "non accusing voice" when that is exactly what he did(stole)? I'd prolly go a step further and made sure that the whole table knew that he tried to steal a chip from the novice.