Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 02:35 AM

Default monte carlo - set oop monotone flop

i played with this guy all day, he's been opening pretty frequently in MP-LP for 2.5x. He's pretty solid, and i havn't really seen him make a big mistake. I think he respects my 'game', and definitely noticed that i'm pretty TAG and dont [censored] around too much.

earlier hand w/ villain:
50/100 18k stacks

utg limp (fish), villain raises to 525 in MP, i make it 1200 on the button w/ AA.
Flop K93 rainbow.
he checks and i bet 1500, he raises to 3500 and i call.
turn 3x
he stares me down for 20 seconds and checks, i check
river Jx
he bets 4k and i call, he wins w/ KKK.
---

Now, 200/400/50 stacks ~15k

he opens in the hijack for 1050, sb calls, i call w/ 66.

flop($3500)2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
it checks around.
turn($3500) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
sb checks, i bet 2k, he makes it 5500, sb folds.

Action? I have ~12k left

Also, who leads into him on the flop? I generally dont do this, but i probably should start using that line some. Thoughts?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:59 AM

Default Re: monte carlo - set oop monotone flop

I have a hard time believing a good LAG player has you beat here. He bets 77(maybe not), any set, and i think most flushes on flop. I guess 89 scares me, as does his smallish raise. I think you are just deep enough to call and see What happens on river, though you have to go broke if board pairs, obv. but if the river is a blank and he shoves.... then im lost. sick hand

(nice meeting u at TS btw)
Old 03-30-2007, 03:17 AM

I really like leading spots like these. Firing 2000-2500 on a board like this destroys their drawing odds and if hes going to raise you you'll have an easy time getting it all in.

A free card can be fairly disasterous here and he holds a lot of hands that will like a check behind. So yea i fire.

I don't think i can get away on the turn.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really like leading spots like these. Firing 2000-2500 on a board like this destroys their drawing odds and if hes going to raise you you'll have an easy time getting it all in.

A free card can be fairly disasterous here and he holds a lot of hands that will like a check behind. So yea i fire.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100 %
Old 03-30-2007, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100%

and it helps protect your range of hands for bet-3betting draws and bet/folding feeler bets with a midpair.

turn you definitely can't get away without a sick read.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:06 AM

what deuce said.

the way it's played besides a very big flush (Axhh and Kxhh) I can't see him not c-betting a hand on the flop that you don't beat. maaaaybe a baby flush but I doubt it.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All of this is the truth.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, I'll join the quoting bandwagon haha, but yeah, that's the only way to go.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:41 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What?! This is awful advice.

OK, I was actually just trying to break up the pattern of quoting Bond in this thread, but I do agree. There are very specific times where I do like checking better than betting on this flop, but they are usually a) heads-up, and b) against an opponent that I need to employ 3rd level thinking against to maximize value. Even then, a 25/75 mix of checking/betting seems OK. For the reasons Bond said, you can never really go wrong by leading out here and getting it all in if he raises.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:29 PM

alright, my thoughts:

flop lead: as i said, i dont do this, so i didnt think ic ould really do it here very profitably. I'm pretty tight, and this guy is solid/pretty good. I agree with all the point bond/duece made, but i guess i just dont do this move at all. Duece said that he does this with sets to balance the times he bet-3bets w/ his draws, well, i dont really do this with any draws either. Basically i never use the line, and didnt think this was a good time to use it for a first time (when it's likely to just get a lot of credit/if i get played back at, its probably bad for me).

turn:
[ QUOTE ]

the way it's played besides a very big flush (Axhh and Kxhh) I can't see him not c-betting a hand on the flop that you don't beat. maaaaybe a baby flush but I doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think i was behind on the flop, but what hands raise the turn? he's a solid player, and while he had been opening a lot of pots he wasn't playing a lot of big ones. checking behind the flop, and raising the turn here doesnt really make sense for ANY hand i'm beating. Basically, i'm hoping his range is: 77,89,random heart semibluff. So, i think i should(could) have folded (though, narrowing his range down that much is probably a mistake, but i really have NO IDEA what else he could be doing this with.