Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: On Southwest Airlines new family boarding policy

[ QUOTE ]
WTF? Do all these people hate their own parents this much for bringing them into the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah what's up with all the hating on little munchkins? You guys are not very friendly to our parents of young kids!

I hardly ever fly, Chip, because I'm scared out of my mind of flying at 30,000 ft in a metal tube. But I would think that having little kids near me would be a pleasant distraction and take my mind off of the agony of burning to death as I plumment to the ground in a ball of fire. So you can sit near me any time with your family and I will try to make your kids laugh. I think people should have a little more understanding. Little kids are hard to keep quiet for several hours. And having more than one must make it especially difficult. I'm on your side Chip! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Southwest sounds stupid. Are they the ones who keep commenting on what passengers are wearing?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:00 PM

CW,

When I've flown with my daughter I've generally waited as long as possible before getting on the plane because it gives her a chance to expend energy in the terminal. On Southwest I guess this strategy sucks because you might not be able to sit together. Similarly, due to my daughter's penchant for seat-kicking, I now book two seats together and one in front of HER seat, so that it'll be my seat she kicks. Also not an option on SW, I guess.

In closing, yeah, I don't think I'd fly Southwest with kids.

Blarg,

Your earlier contention that your bitterness is due to OOT/Lounge feuding is contradicted by the fact that this IS the lounge, and your anger seems really misplaced.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:19 PM

I stated a general opinion and someone responded with a personal attack, and basically called me nuts, which I simply threw back at him for its irony. You're pointing fingers in the wrong direction and very carelessly.

I don't agree with your begging the question, either. Can this please be done somewhere crummier or not at all?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There has to be a middle ground here.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

One other consequence of not letting families get on first is that if the flight is full and they are in group C, there's a decent chance that they wouldnt be able to sit together.

[/ QUOTE ]

ChipWrecked:
[ QUOTE ]
These families, if they don't have an 'A' pass, now board after the 'A' group.

[/ QUOTE ]

Families are still getting preferential treatment, just not most preferred status, a family with C or B is promoted to B+/A-. After the A group, the back of the plane is still wide open.

Southwest seems to have found your middle ground. I applaud their innovation.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And on the other side - making families board with everyone else creates a giant bottleneck when mom or dad is trying to install a carseat and holds up everyone behind them.

Pre-boarding is essential for families with kids still in "restraint seats", because of install times, but should not happen for families with children large enough to sit in the regular seat.

Also, mondo: griping about handicapped people pre-boarding - GFY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. When the plane lands I'll stand 8 rows back ready to go while you play with your carseat and luggage for 10 min.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said anything about de-planing? I've never once seen a family with a child restraint de-plane in normal fashion. They sit until everyone is off and then leave.

I'm chairman's club on usair two years running, so it's not like I've not been on just one or two flights.

I have however been stuck behind families boarding with normal passengers and had to stand in line for 10-15 minutes while a flustered mom installs two car seats. It tilts everyone and delays takeoff.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't recall saying I cared, though in "the world contained in your martyred brain," you might have thought I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Witty, but I'm not the bi-polar one.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:27 PM

Hey let's stick to the topic. I don't see why we have to attack each other. Seems uncalled for.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't recall saying I cared, though in "the world contained in your martyred brain," you might have thought I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Witty, but I'm not the bi-polar one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Name-calling, unprovoked attacks, and repeatedly calling someone nuts is the kind of quality this forum needs a lot more of. Welcome.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Name-calling, unprovoked attacks, and repeatedly calling someone nuts is the kind of quality this forum needs a lot more of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with Blarg. Stop the name-calling and get back on topic. It's a good thread.

The last time I flew it was to Hawaii. I think it was something like a 9 hour flight. I don't recall any kids or babies acting up or being disruptive. There was a woman who sat across the isle from me who was very mean to the girl in front of her who was trying to recline her seat. They were creating quite the ruckus.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There has to be a middle ground here.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

One other consequence of not letting families get on first is that if the flight is full and they are in group C, there's a decent chance that they wouldnt be able to sit together.

[/ QUOTE ]

ChipWrecked:
[ QUOTE ]
These families, if they don't have an 'A' pass, now board after the 'A' group.

[/ QUOTE ]

Families are still getting preferential treatment, just not most preferred status, a family with C or B is promoted to B+/A-. After the A group, the back of the plane is still wide open.

Southwest seems to have found your middle ground. I applaud their innovation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didnt read that part so closely, did I? Nice catch.

Even though my families cant sit together argument may not hold any longer, it is still a very likely possibility that someone in the A group already on the plane will get hit with a car seat. That's probably a minor inconvenience, but it will happen (I speak from experience both as the one lugging the seat down the aisle and as one who has been hit by a seat before).

Also, cant you get an A board group just by checking in online the day before? That seems to defeat the "I got here first so I should be able to get on first" theory since you can get there right before the A group gets on and still get on in front of families.

I still like my solution of the family area being behind row 15 or something like that and allowing families to board first.