Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2007, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Best pro without a major?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not to be biased by the current tournament, but Adam Scott.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I would go A. Scott at number 1, followed by Sergio/Luke Donald/Pad Harrington/DiMarco in some order, with Monty being in there too. Who knows if Monty will get another shot after being excruciatingly close @ Winged Foot
Old 06-09-2007, 10:49 PM

Will MacKenzie...but only because he is from my area!
Old 06-09-2007, 10:54 PM

A. Scott

Eventually, Henrik Stensen will be on that list as well.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not to be biased by the current tournament, but Adam Scott.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I would go A. Scott at number 1, followed by Sergio/Luke Donald/Pad Harrington/DiMarco in some order, with Monty being in there too. Who knows if Monty will get another shot after being excruciatingly close @ Winged Foot

[/ QUOTE ]

Not knocking you, but to me DiMarco is mentioned all the time for relatively little reason. Maybe the media trying to find Americans or something, maybe the performance down the stretch at the Masters. He has 3 career tour wins, one Nationwide win, one in Abu Dhabi. Brad Faxon has 8 tour wins for a comparison. Ben Curtis has 3 but has the one major which excludes him from this discussion, but highlights how much people talk about DiMarco although he has few wins and none in the US since 2002. Sergio Garcia has 6 tour wins plus more on the European Tour.

I tend to see Luke Donald or Adam Scott as guys who can break through. As far as young players without wins yet, I think Anthony Kim will end up winning tournaments and maybe a major or two. Ryan Moore maybe as well. First they have to win, which I expect Kim to do by the end of the 2008 season, if not at some event this summer or fall.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:06 PM

I'm pretty sure Scott still has more missed cuts than made cuts at majors. He's never been any sort of threat at any of them. But he certainly has made game and has been playing extremely well lately.

It's preposterous Sergio hasn't done more in majors since Medinah '99.

Harrington>>>>>>>DiMarco, IMO, although CD does have three 2nd's in majors. Harrington is also the only player to have played 6+ rounds with Tiger and have outscored him.

But, Monty will almost assuredly retire as the "best never...". I wonder who the current retired "best never..." is?

WTF, no mention of Michelle Wie? Six top fives in majors, at least one in all four, ftw. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2007, 04:09 PM

Clearly Monty will go down as thje best player never to win a major, his time has just come and gone. Darren Clarke will be a pretty close second, who when on his game is simply a beast.

Sergio of the guys still in with a chance would be next.

Scott has been around a long long time and done relatively little with his career. It seems that his mate Ogilvie winning last year has given him the kick up the arse he needed to step his game up. But he's nowhere near best player not to win a major.

No americans on the list, simply because all the big names have won at least one at some point. DiMarco is not a big name.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:42 PM

Candidates might include:

Isao Aoki
Neil Coles
Harry Cooper
Harold Hilton
Ted Ray
Allan Robertson
Chi Chi Rodriguez
Charlie Sifford
Walter Travis

Sergio has long been on my over-rated list. My view is that he never wins a major, even if Tiger were never born. I cannot explain this visceral antipathy.

Norman will always lead my all-time underachiever list (followed by Weiskoph). My best mate, a lovely golfer and a delightful companion, morphs into an enraged, beer-spitting monster when I offer this opinion...
Old 06-10-2007, 05:28 PM

Best current American not to have won a major is Kenny Perry, Dimarco rates a mention on his stellar play trying to chase down Tiger in two of Tigers recent Major wins, rather than his own lack of wins. Dimarco is 18th in career money though, and Perry is 11th.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Best current American not to have won a major is Kenny Perry, Dimarco rates a mention on his stellar play trying to chase down Tiger in two of Tigers recent Major wins, rather than his own lack of wins. Dimarco is 18th in career money though, and Perry is 11th.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bringing up older guys, Bruce Lietzke has 13 wins vs. Kenny Perry's 9 wins. When it comes to best player either with/without major, I look more to wins. Especially comparing DiMarcos prime coinciding with a huge jump in purses. Kenny Perry has 3 times the wins of DiMarco. Fewer fist pumps I guess I dunno.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:33 PM

Ted Ray won both the Open and the US Open per a quick search. Open at Muirfield and US Open at Inverness pre-renovation. So good courses to boot. Harry Cooper an interesting pick. He did win a Canadian Open and the Western Open in 1934 though, and I actually consider the Western more of a major than the Masters in the early years.