Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Celtics want Reggie Miller

[ QUOTE ]
He's a fringe HoF at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke? He leads the NBA in a bunch of 3 point shooting statistics. It's not like he was a flash in the pan, he did it for a long time. Slight him because he was on Pacer teams who's second best player was Rik Smits (I love the Dunkin Dutchman but c'mon) but calling him a "meh" player in any way is pretty silly.

Cody
Old 08-09-2007, 06:39 PM

This is a very good move if it happens. Why? Because it's no risk. We will find out by the first month if he can still play or not. He will bearly make any money so that's not an issue.

Reggie still could play when he retired, hopefully he hasn't lost that much since then. He still can shoot, thats for sure. His problem will obviously be defense.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:06 PM

Tanner,

I'm a huge Miller fan. If by "a bunch of 3 point shooting statistics" you mean attempts and makes, then sure, that has some historical merit to help his case. And unless Ray Allen totally dies on us, he'll hold those records soon, in addition to his attempts/makes in a season record.

He's just not an all time superstar. He only has a few seasons of 20 PER seasons, and one 21 PER season. Those are good numbers, not great. In fact, he compares a lot with guys like Mitch Richmond, Steve Smith, and on the low scale, Wally World. He's a notch up on those guys, but not by much (except maybe Wally.. that might be too mean of me).

His HoF probability by basketball-reference's stat is 0.042. Granted, I think that stat is [censored], but it has a high success rate.

fwiw, I'm fine with him getting in. I think he's an important figure historically, and I'm fine with that being a reason. But if he gets in first ballot while someone like 'Nique had to wait a couple years, that's ridiculous.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Celtics will be a massive disappointment next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're exaggerating, but if they do massively disappoint, it'll be due to injuries above all else. I think it's more likely that everyone finds out exactly how beastly Kevin Garnett is, and exactly how awful his teams were, and how atrocious it is that McHale could failed so miserably with one of the best players of our time (or any time, really).
Old 08-09-2007, 07:56 PM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.

I hope this happens. Then there will finally a team in the East that will be more dissapointing than my Knicks.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:07 PM

The Knicks haven't been disappointing. Everyone knew they'd suck, because they weren't actually great players, just big contracts. They have a chance to be disappointing this season, though.

Honestly, the more I think about it, I have some concerns about adding Miller beyond the age/can he play stuff. The offense right now is sorta sweet with the Cs. A slasher in Pierce, one of the best deep threats in the game in Ray, and a low post/midrange guy in KG who's about as versatile as you can get at the 4 position. Miller has never functioned in that dynamic of an offense. Through most of his career, he was the #1 option, and the offense revolved around him running off screens constantly to get his ass open. So if he's playing 10-15 MPG, does your offense have to shift to account for that? If you just want a spot up shooter, we can find someone else I think.

Or is Allen already basically going to be something along the same lines (though a toned down version) and Reggie will sub for him mostly?
Old 08-09-2007, 08:13 PM

I am sure reggie is for bench scoring and depth.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Celtics will be a massive disappointment next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're exaggerating, but if they do massively disappoint, it'll be due to injuries above all else. I think it's more likely that everyone finds out exactly how beastly Kevin Garnett is, and exactly how awful his teams were, and how atrocious it is that McHale could failed so miserably with one of the best players of our time (or any time, really).

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just a gut feeling I have. I don't think this team will do well. I am generally wrong on these types of things, but like most fans it does not stop me from spouting my views like an idiot. It's probably just the homer in me that thinks the Bulls will be better this year.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:32 PM

fwiw, I picked the Bulls for most wins in the East.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:15 PM

KidColin im glad you are around here. I agree with everything you have said in this thread.

Im fine with Miller coming to the C's, No risk. Do I think he will get into the hall yes. But to say he is even in the top 20 SG of all time is a strech. IMO.