Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Celtics want Reggie Miller

[ QUOTE ]
By the way a lot of people though Jordan was gonna suck when he made his first comeback.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never heard anyone say this, at all.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so jordan or kareem shouldnt play because their talent drops off (jordan still a good player and kareem an average center) because other people don't want to see them with diminished skills?

[/ QUOTE ]
Where do you get "shouldn't" from? I'd prefer someone finish their career on a positive note, be it leaving with something in the tank and/or by winning a championship, yes. If they want to play until their wheels fall off that's up to them.

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] that- if someone is still good enough to play professionally and thats what they want to do let them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who is stopping them? I'm not.

[ QUOTE ]
By the way a lot of people though Jordan was gonna suck when he made his first comeback.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jesus, this is so wrong I don't know where to begin. I guess I shouldn't be surprised you have two *.

NoodleMan, I wish someone else would chime in regarding that second comeback. Clark would be ideal since he's from Chicago and is a Bulls homer but he tends to disagree with me about everything so that might not do me any favors. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who, complete morons?

Most people thought it made the Bulls title favorites the instant he came back.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:38 PM

I think something that should be noted is that when MJ came back that second time he was trying to carry a sub 500 team on his back. Who was his best teammate other than Stackhouse? No one. This team has three top 20 players and Reggie will have to do nothing more than play 10-15 min and shoot open shots from the perimeter.

I personally hated Reggie his entire career even tho I respect how good he was for Indiana. I think when people pump up Reggie they neglect how good some of his teams were. To me a guy that is 6-7 and can only get 2 rpg with 2 apg, plays terrible D while playing 36 min and has no rings just isn’t hall of fame caliber... not even close. But hey i have been wrong before.

If it was up to me I wouldn’t actively pursue Reggie but if he wants to play I will definitely give him a chance and show him my support.

As a side note: Most great athletes become great by having a passion to play the game. If they can still contribute and still want to play, I say more power to them. I can’t imagine a worse feeling than being 60 and thinking back on my career with these "what if" doubts. To me its about being happy and content with life, not preserving my memory in the eyes of some fans. The true fans will remember me no matter how crappy my last couple seasons are.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think when people pump up Reggie they neglect how good some of his teams were. To me a guy that is 6-7 and can only get 2 rpg with 2 apg, plays terrible D while playing 36 min and has no rings just isn’t hall of fame caliber... not even close. But hey i have been wrong before.

[/ QUOTE ]

This takes courage to say.

Cody
Old 08-09-2007, 05:32 PM

not really.. the Reggie debate has been had. He's a fringe HoF at best. He's a good scorer, that's it. He'll get in because he's a class act and well liked, and he's "clutch".

fwiw, I believe in "clutch" in basketball much more so than in other sports. I'd have to go through the end game numbers though. There's always memory bias about the ones that went in.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:54 PM

My 2 cents on the whole Reggie thing:

WTF?!?!?

Reggie didn't contribute the last two seasons he was at Indiana. He was a bench player. Like a Brent Barry w/o the athleticism.

He coult probably still drain the open jumper with a higher than average percentage though. Huge liability on D.

Whatever, they need a PG.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:05 PM

The Celtics will be a massive disappointment next year.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reggie didn't contribute the last two seasons he was at Indiana. He was a bench player. Like a Brent Barry w/o the athleticism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bench player? He started every game he played.

Like a Brent Barry w/o the athleticism? Reggie Miller averaged more PPG in his last season (14.8) than Brent Barry did in his best (14.4 in 01-02).

He carried the pacers to the playoffs while the team was destroyed by suspensions due to the brawl.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reggie didn't contribute his last two seasons he was at Indiana. He was a bench player. Like a Brent Barry w/o the athleticism.

[/ QUOTE ]
What? He started every game he played the last two seasons, averaged 30 MPG and in his last season (partially due to a depleted roster) averaged 15 PPG on 11 FGA. Other than that your comment was really close though.

EDIT: goddamn you NoodleMan.