Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2006, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Some Pictures Took that I Like- Enjoy!!

Tron,

Using gimp I've adjusted the levels and contrast on all of these. My camera tends, even without flash, to take pictures a little washed out, so I'm mostly correcting for that. These are less produced than a lot of my food pictures, which sometimes have the contrast ramped up by 50% (part that is being indoors with bad photo lighting and a [censored] flash).

Frankly, the biggest part of post production is just artfully cropping the images. Makes a huge difference in terms of composition and stuff like that.

A good deal of this I learned from my father, and infrequent OOT poster Spanaway Vin.

The more I get into this, the more likely it is that i'm going to end up dropping money on an SLR.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Books about food

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, perhaps 'cause the book sucks hard and is just horribly written.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steingarten often comes off as a pompous ass, but I do appreciate his obsessiveness when it comes to some of his food essays.

Which Ruth Reichl book to read first?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, I love food writing but can't stand Steingarten. The guy will write a piece about some food that regular schlubs eat and make sound like he's a war journalist toughing it out in Bosnia.

I'd recommend Alan Richman's Fork it Over as the best collection of essays/stories on food and drink.