Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Poker and Drug Testing

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it didn't get banned.

Anyway, using cocaine or speed would increase your mental alertness during marathon sessions. It's a performance enhancing drug, for poker, and I don't believe it should be allowed. It definitely gives somebody a mental edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you have ever played poker high on coke. Everyone but the player on coke has the edge, trust me on this.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Should caffeine be illegal since makes a person more alert?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but there is a huge difference between caffeine and aderal or ritalin.

I'm surprised this isn't discussed more in the context of tournament poker. It would definitely help maintaining alertness, concentration and focus over a long tournament day, and all other things benig equal a player using it has an advantage over a player not using it in a long session.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a reasonable issue to discuss. But I'm pretty sure that the OP was referring to illegal drugs, which is a bit silly.

I believe that Paul Phillips has said that when he started taking a certain medication (I forget the name of it, perhaps ritalin), he was able to focus more during tournaments.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:14 AM

the use of aderal and ritalin-like drugs is actually a pretty significant point. i know guys that take the drug before poker sessions and it helps them stay alert at the table for longer. they also use it to study for school.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:30 AM

I played poker on coke before.
I made this huge bluff, the guy was thinking for about 5 minutes, my heart almost jumped out of my throat, it was beating so fast.
If he would of taken another minute before folding, I would of just told him, I was bluffing to end this torture.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:10 AM

i would recomend mixing something like adderal and xanax. stay alert but keep calm and cool emotionless.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played poker on coke before.
I made this huge bluff, the guy was thinking for about 5 minutes, my heart almost jumped out of my throat, it was beating so fast.
If he would of taken another minute before folding, I would of just told him, I was bluffing to end this torture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I got a good laugh when I read this.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(I am assuming you mean cocaine and not coca-cola.)

With regards to your first point ('cleaning up' the game), why do you care if the player next to you is using drugs? It is none of your business.

I disagree with your second point. Using any drug would probably diminish your ability to make good poker decisions. Also, I find it hard to believe that someone who just used cocaine would want to sit at a poker table for hours.

Should caffeine be illegal since makes a person more alert?

[/ QUOTE ]
lol! this is a serious response. OP post more.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that drug testing should be instituted to not only clean up the game but to level the playing field. If i'm playing in a large field 3+day tournament, is it fair that I should be playing against players who are using speed and coke to stay alert? It's like using steroids in Football and those players should be banned.

What do people think?

[/ QUOTE ]
I see sublminininalals in your post
Old 01-23-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I believe that drug testing should be instituted to not only clean up the game but to level the playing field. If i'm playing in a large field 3+day tournament, is it fair that I should be playing against players who are using speed and coke to stay alert? It's like using steroids in Football and those players should be banned.

What do people think?

[/ QUOTE ]
I see sublminininalals in your post

[/ QUOTE ]

Ba-zinggggggggggggg [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What do people think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's the funniest thing I've read all day.

Maybe they should drug test chess players too.

b