Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should I have him gank me a laptop?
Yes 12 36.36%
No 21 63.64%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: which 0-2 team will somehow win their series?

[ QUOTE ]
Phillies - Moyer @ Jimenez, Hamels @ Fogg, Kendrick vs. Francis.
The Phillies have two reasonable pitching matchups and then a terrible one if they make it as far as game 5. Before they even think that far though, they'll have problems in Game 3 as Moyer hasn't pitched deep in a century and the bullpen isn't deep or good enough to cover up that weakness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good analysis.

One small point, Moyer's last 6 starts are in between 5-7 innings (a little more than Jimenez). By the Phils standards of starting pitching that is super-deep.

Or put another way, if they get 5-6 innings out of him, that's their style.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:58 AM

If Jimenez manages to throw six innings of four hit ball like he did in Philly on September 10th, it's over. That phuqwad Julio blew the save that night, but Julio ain't around to ruin this one.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:00 PM

I think the Yankees have a reasonable shot to win the series. They'll be big favs at home for the next 2 vs. Westbrook and Byrd. Then they'd face Captain Cheeseburger in game 5 who was pretty wild in game 1.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the Yankees have a reasonable shot to win the series. They'll be big favs at home for the next 2 vs. Westbrook and Byrd. Then they'd face Captain Cheeseburger in game 5 who was pretty wild in game 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ cc
Old 10-06-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Phillies - Moyer @ Jimenez, Hamels @ Fogg, Kendrick vs. Francis.
The Phillies have two reasonable pitching matchups and then a terrible one if they make it as far as game 5. Before they even think that far though, they'll have problems in Game 3 as Moyer hasn't pitched deep in a century and the bullpen isn't deep or good enough to cover up that weakness. They are the only of the four teams to face elimination on the road and probably the most likely to be eliminated tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, I'm pretty sure you have the pitching matchups wrong. Its going to be Lohse in Game 4 and Hamels in Game 5. Second of all, yes Moyer is old as sin, but Jimenez has pitched a total of 90 innings in his career. The Rockies bullpen is also not exactly filled with studs either. If the Phillies win game 3, they take the series. I think they have the second best chance of the 0-2s to make it to the LCS, behind the Yankees.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Jimenez manages to throw six innings of four hit ball like he did in Philly on September 10th, it's over. That phuqwad Julio blew the save that night, but Julio ain't around to ruin this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are using an example of a game the Rockies lost as proof to why they should win tonight? wtf [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are using an example of a game the Rockies lost as proof to why they should win tonight? wtf [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the whole story, young grasshopper. Jimenez pitched great, and Jorge Julio blew the save. He ain't around to do it this time. My point was that, at least last time out, Jimenez handcuffed the Phillies on 4 hits (2 ER) in six innings. Howard hit a solo HR, but that was about it. Julio gave up a 3 run dinger to the very first batter he faced (Burrell) in the bottom of the 7th, to blow the save, and the Phils went on to win in extra innings.

I don't see how Jimenez previous success (yes, in a small sample size) can't be proof as to why the Rox should win tonight. In addition, in Moyer's career against the Rockies, he is 0-4 in 4 starts, with a BAA of over .300.

The starting pitching matchup favors the Rockies, and minimizes the chances of the Phils coming back from 0-2 down.