Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 02:29 AM

Default 4/180 grinding

I decided yesterday to try and build a decent sized bankroll up on stars from ~$50 pretty much solely playing tons of 4/180's. I plan on playing 2-3 tables at a time, but probably won't start new tournaments if i go deep in one but bust out of my other tables

with this in mind, can anyone familiar with the 180's suggest a goal for tournaments played per day that i should aim for?
Old 07-30-2007, 02:55 AM

Default Re: 4/180 grinding

There are safer and smarter investments than 4/180s with a $50 roll.

I started with 50 dollars playing 1.10 turbos there and grinded up to 200, hit the 2.20 sats until 250 or so. Scored a FT in a large field and even I refuse to play 4/180s exclusively. You can easily lose your entire roll without a strong enough cushion.

Really need to add that bankroll management starts at the earliest level of play, and never ends.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:21 AM

mj.. you're such a nit.. on a 50 roll i'm auto-registered for 2 20/180's and a 10 flip tourney obv
Old 07-30-2007, 03:33 AM

yeah, poor bankroll management was kind of the whole point of what im trying to do, more of a challenge type of thing than sound strategy.

but to allay your fears, i just took first in one, bringing my ROI so far to over 1000%, so i am now comfortably rolled for this level of tourney

in addition to my original question about how many tournaments i should attempt to play per day, i was also wondering what the upper bounds of ROI% for these are

obviously 1000% isn't sustainable, but considering the softness of the fields in these, is something around the 200% range (while certainly not likely) beyond the realm of possibility?
Old 07-30-2007, 03:50 AM

This spam is getting annoying
Old 07-30-2007, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This spam is getting annoying

[/ QUOTE ]

already reported it. [censored] annoying.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:10 AM

OP, I wouldn't worry about roll management if you can easily afford to redeposit. Once you can't easily replenish your roll then practice good roll management. Don't be afraid to check out AP, UB, and FTP. Look at getting a rakeback affiliate with those sites should you choose to deposit there. The more sites you have to choose from the more mtts you can sign up for.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:05 AM

If it's only $50 you're starting with, then it isn't that big of a deal if you bust.

I was lucky enough to start my bankroll from scratch. I won a private freeroll on Absolute Poker a couple of years ago. I worked that win up to around $60 on AP, withdrew it from there and deposited into Poker Stars and ran it up a bit from there. My 'roll is pretty small since I don't play too frequently relative to other players (I rarely multi-table), but I haven't gone bust yet.

I've been playing a bit more out of my roll than I should have. But I did that because I was on a rather lucky rush at the time. After taking some tournament hits, I've decided to scale back to mostly 4/180's.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:11 AM

yeah again, im not looking for beginner tips on how to play online or bankroll management, i've been playing online a long time but took a break for awhile after neteller stopped doing business with americans

i just want to see if i can build an actual working roll without ever depositing, everything i have now started from T$ i got from FPP tournaments

and again, i took first in one of these tonight so the $50 i mentioned has been quintupled, im really just wondering if anyone has experience playing lots of tournaments of similar length and what kind of daily goals, as far as volume is concerned, that i can reasonably shoot for 2-3 tabling

my first day i did very little other than play and i still only managed to get 5 tournaments in, i would like to play a significant amount more than this per day, are there people out there that play 15-20 a day, or is it unreasonable for me to expect to get in more than 8-10?

or perhaps i shouldn't be setting goals like this at all because the amount of tournaments i play is going to depend greatly on how deep i go in them?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:39 AM

Depends how deep you go, could play 5+ sets a day easily if you don't get far, but you could only play 2/3 if you get far in a few.

GL!!!!!!!!