Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 02:37 AM

Default Made a huge realization today about O/8 (and low games in general)

Driving 8 hours today by myself and no radio allowed me plenty of thinking time. I was thinking about O/8 where I just lost a few buyins recently on lowdraws. I had believed that I had made the correct play considering odds. Typical hand would go like:

Hero: A2xy Board: 48A-z - Pot bet on the turn.

And I would call this heads up. *sigh*. I was thinking, "Hey, I just need anycard below an 8! Thats 8*32-4 lowcards = 28/44! I have the odds to escape, plus what if he just has a draw? I have a pair! 2-1 to call (all-in usually).. I CALL!"

I've lost quite a few buyins this way. Now I realize:

1.Pair of Aces = lame. Too many times this gets dominated. (Kind of knew this, but in addition to part 2 it looked good)
2. Low outs is 4*4 = 16. I kept counting all the A's, 2's, 4's, and 8's... bad move. I can only could the 3,5,6, and 7's. 16/44... looks alot worse now. 31% to probably just quarter and lose even more.

Cliff Notes: HUGE leak plugged, feel like a huge fish, but glad I found it and increased my understanding of the game.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Made a huge realization today about O/8 (and low games in general)

Congrats on improving your games, but I seriously don't understand why people don't just nut peddle when they're learning the game. I did that all the way up to $2/4 and was a consistent winner playing extremely tight nut peddling poker. As I tried to move up I eventually found that it stopped working against better players and I've had to adjust and learn more and more.

I do think this "realization" is a step in the right direction.

89,750 and counting
Old 11-26-2007, 03:33 AM

Nut peddling feels too much like set mining in HE. I have enough trouble getting value out of a nut flush (or straight flush, hit 2 of them in the past two sessions!), so I have taken the agressive route picking up small pot after small pot, just so I can try to get calls on the bigger pots.

Now, I can at least stop calling off my stack on off draws and can calculating them correctly. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can at least stop calling off my stack on low draws

[/ QUOTE ]

This alone should be enough to ensure that you're a winning player below 100 max PLO8.

Edit: to FYP