Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Focus on the Family News...

Homeschooling? The fringiest of the fringe (the '2 percenters' as described above) want NOTHING to do with education and intellect. A questioning personality, logic, worldly knowledge, are anathema to what they're peddling.

And I fear them. They have an armed, under-the-radar army now: Black Water. The owner's a religious kook and his mercenaries are no joke. Honest, I think they would be at GWB's disposal if he gave the word to stage a coup.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Homeschooling? The fringiest of the fringe (the '2 percenters' as described above) want NOTHING to do with education and intellect. A questioning personality, logic, worldly knowledge, are anathema to what they're peddling.

And I fear them. They have an armed, under-the-radar army now: Black Water. The owner's a religious kook and his mercenaries are no joke. Honest, I think they would be at GWB's disposal if he gave the word to stage a coup.

[/ QUOTE ]

We tried home schooling with one of our children for a year.

I'd be more worried about the number of idiots turned out of your average public school than I would for the number of "programed" extremist homeschoolers.

D$D
Old 09-18-2007, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They are in some respects more firghtening than the Nazis.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, except for the killing millions of innocent people part.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd be more worried about the number of idiots turned out of your average public school than I would for the number of "programed" extremist homeschoolers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, something about assembling 2000 hormone crazed teenagers, mixing in drugs, alcohol, limited supervision, insufficient funding, and overcrowded classrooms doesn't scream "Recipe for Success".

Of course, throw in South Park episodes and maybe you've got something!
Old 09-18-2007, 05:12 AM

I think my issue is more with people who homeschool who have no business homeschooling. If you are stocking shelves at Wal Mart you got no business educating a kid on material from James Dobson. Nothing is wrong with well-off well-educated adults teaching their kids at home. You will probably buy real education material and attempt to teach your kid math science and reading. Not Eve tossing bread crumbs to dinosaurs.
Come on, most of us, if you have kids, can afford to live in a decent public school district. Totally failed high schools are easily avoidable if you have a job. Public school is bad , don't get me wrong, but the worst ones are easily avoidable, and they are a LOT better than the education you get from anyone dumb enough to belong to FoF.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Black Water

"They have an armed, under-the-radar army now: Black Water. The owner's a religious kook and his mercenaries are no joke."

They are a lot less "under-the-radar" this week. There are Senate hearings scheduled on privatization of the war.

Black Water and the like have lost 200+ employees. Where is OSHA ?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Hell, the best thing you can do to raise a good healthy kid is to watch South Park with them."

That would definitely be a matter of opinion. ;]

I think South Park is like the "Beavis and Butthead" of my generation. Sadly, most of those types that I meet today (my brother in law is a prime example), are stocking groceries at Walmart on the graveyard shift.

Huh huh..huh huh...

Granted I'm not a regular South Park viewer, but my first thought would be that if you raised a kid on South Park, he'd be spitting in your face with regularity and calling you a stupid MF'er by age 13. Maybe sooner.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't be more wrong. South Park is nothing like Beavis and Butthead. Well, both are animated. South Park is a lot more grounded in reality, morality, and honest discussion than any show on television. They may be surface funny to someone uninformed, but like Stewart and Colbert are more funny when you actually know the news, South Park is a lot more funny if you actually have an education. High Satire is probably the most difficult form of art to pull off, and I put Matt and Trey right up there with Swift.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't disagree with you there. Satire is my favorite and what little South Park I have seen was brilliantly done. My point is that plopping a kid in front of it won't give him an appreciation for satire. He'll just learn a few new words.

I believe most of the South Park humor goes straight over the head of the vast majority of adult viewers for that matter, so the show might as well be Jackass: The Movie, for them.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:23 AM

I know a lot of home schoolers, and I've seen some that I probably should have reported for screwing their kids up. On the other hand I've seen amazing results when parents do it right.

I think this is an area that it would help a lot to have a strict system in place requiring home schooled kids to come in at certain ages and take tests to measure where they are. If a kid can't read and he's supposed be in the 5th grade, then require the parents to enroll him in a regular school.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol. Now I know how the Muslim's feel when a few douchebags claim to speak for all Muslims. Please don't lump all "Christians" in with these tards.

I was a minister at a non-denom church until about a year ago and I could give two $hits whether or not the 10 commandments is displayed.

[/ QUOTE ]

And we are surprised that you aren't still a preacher???
Old 09-20-2007, 06:06 PM

Dobson won't back Thompson

The post was originally posted to show that Focus on the Family (a main enemy of ours) support is slowing.