Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Focus on the Family News...

[ QUOTE ]
Though many, myself included, main stream Christians understand this, here is the reply from a FoF poster, interesting and I add emphasis in bold areas:

Newly confused, I can see where the confusion comes in and I will try to wade in here. When Jesus came, he simplified the Ten Commandments by saying that there were two. They were to love God above all- the first commandment and love your neighbor as yourself. If, we as a world followed those two commands of love, we wouldn't need the others. If you loved you wouldn't murder, lie or cheat or hurt other people. I know this is a fairly simple explanation for a seemingly harder question. Now, if only we could just love. That really is the key. The Ten Commandments will alway be a good way to guide us. But if we all followed what Jesus said, this world would be a better place. Mark 12 29-31. No greater commands than these.

beliver - Sep 14, 2007 04:36:05 AM

So, seems we are down to two commandments.

Actually, my point was focused on the WONDER poster and the push by the Far right to post the 10 commandments in all public / governmental places and the posters statement of not being under the Old Testament, the duality of the position, no OT, except we want OT, sometimes.

obg

[/ QUOTE ]

Im a Matthew Christian I guess, a bit of Mark. Matthew does
restate the Ten Commandments in his text word for word, and in the Sermon on the Mount, don't forget Christ said he did not abate one whit of the Law from the Old Testament. You can take that Sermon and you have all you need. I think your FoF guy when God says He gave the law so that ye may love one another(somewhere in Acts i think), but thats omitting its purpose. Namely, we don't live up to being made in God's image so we need some help. Those [censored] forget how hard a religion Christianity is, and only care about enforcing some sort of surface Christianity, not a genuine heartfelt internal one.
Sort of an Inquisition style one where sin is permitted and overlooked as long as you follow the forms laid out by the religious powers. Sham, fake, moneygrubbing whores pretty much sums up Focus on the Family. I think they joke about what sheep they have sway over and how much $$$$ its worth when no one is looking except their boy whores and coke dealer friends. FoF is a BUSINESS. Remember that when you read what they say, its so much easier to comprehend.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They employ 1205 people? What on earth (or in heaven) do they do? (Apart from banking donations to pay the wages obviously).

[/ QUOTE ]

I try to impress this. Modern day evangelical christianity is BIG BUSINESS. These people publish everything. Books, TV shows, movies, Sunday school packets, School texts, radio shows, and anything you can think of. They solicit money in donations as well. Dobson is RICH. They have political organizations as well. They are setting up a dual life structure. Christian this, christian that. They raise kids
who never go to school or the movies or see regulat TV. They are setting up a country within a country that reads the same things, watches the same media, and VOTES the same way. I get bitched at for calling them Nazis, but they want and crave power and uniformity. And they are doing it. Maybe you blue state people don't believe it or see it, but I see it on an everyday basis. They even have destination emigration areas inside the US for you to move to so they can saturate areas with "christian" communities. GWB will not be the end of their political malevolence. Even if numbers are declining and ageing, they are turning out a core of propaganda educated youth and uneducated older people who will vote as they are cajoled from the puplit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! You slammed a few reasonably good ideas with some broad statements!

Home School: Better idea than people realize, but not for everyone, blind leading blind etc.. Categorizing them as uneducated is not only an uninformed, albeit common misconception, but also an overestimation of the merits of public school. Parents that home school their kids take it very seriously and YES home school kids interact with other children. American public schools are churning out some of the dumbest kids on the planet... and those are the ones that finish. The percentage of home school kids that go to college compared to public school kids is (I don't remember the numbers, but very impressive).

TV: Seriously? I really don't know anybody that advocates for kids watching regular TV. Curbing this is simply responsible parenting.

Instilling your beliefs into your children: Pretty much universal, and a very separate thing from the brainwashing, pulpit voting scenario you describe.

Most Christians are just family oriented people who want to raise good kids and have some like minded friends... and as you stated, dollar signs for big business evangelism.

But don't throw out the Baby Jesus with the bath water! Many of these Christian nuts are producing caring, responsible, thinking adults.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Those [censored] forget how hard a religion Christianity is, and only care about enforcing some sort of surface Christianity, not a genuine heartfelt internal one.
Sort of an Inquisition style one where sin is permitted and overlooked as long as you follow the forms laid out by the religious powers. Sham, fake, moneygrubbing whores pretty much sums up Focus on the Family. I think they joke about what sheep they have sway over and how much $$$$ its worth when no one is looking except their boy whores and coke dealer friends. FoF is a BUSINESS. Remember that when you read what they say, its so much easier to comprehend.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is more like it!
Old 09-15-2007, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But don't throw out the Baby Jesus with the bath water! Many of these Christian nuts are producing caring, responsible, thinking adults.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a self described Jesuit trained agnostic, mostly in a joke towards dogma, I love the line.

Just as only about 2% of the gamblers are problem gamblers they do seem to make up 50% of the news. I'd suggest that about the same precentages might apply to Christians.....

D$D
Old 09-15-2007, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They employ 1205 people? What on earth (or in heaven) do they do? (Apart from banking donations to pay the wages obviously).

[/ QUOTE ]

I try to impress this. Modern day evangelical christianity is BIG BUSINESS. These people publish everything. Books, TV shows, movies, Sunday school packets, School texts, radio shows, and anything you can think of. They solicit money in donations as well. Dobson is RICH. They have political organizations as well. They are setting up a dual life structure. Christian this, christian that. They raise kids
who never go to school or the movies or see regulat TV. They are setting up a country within a country that reads the same things, watches the same media, and VOTES the same way. I get bitched at for calling them Nazis, but they want and crave power and uniformity. And they are doing it. Maybe you blue state people don't believe it or see it, but I see it on an everyday basis. They even have destination emigration areas inside the US for you to move to so they can saturate areas with "christian" communities. GWB will not be the end of their political malevolence. Even if numbers are declining and ageing, they are turning out a core of propaganda educated youth and uneducated older people who will vote as they are cajoled from the puplit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! You slammed a few reasonably good ideas with some broad statements!

Home School: Better idea than people realize, but not for everyone, blind leading blind etc.. Categorizing them as uneducated is not only an uninformed, albeit common misconception, but also an overestimation of the merits of public school. Parents that home school their kids take it very seriously and YES home school kids interact with other children. American public schools are churning out some of the dumbest kids on the planet... and those are the ones that finish. The percentage of home school kids that go to college compared to public school kids is (I don't remember the numbers, but very impressive).

TV: Seriously? I really don't know anybody that advocates for kids watching regular TV. Curbing this is simply responsible parenting.

Instilling your beliefs into your children: Pretty much universal, and a very separate thing from the brainwashing, pulpit voting scenario you describe.

Most Christians are just family oriented people who want to raise good kids and have some like minded friends... and as you stated, dollar signs for big business evangelism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Home schooling by parents with little more than a HS diploma is a horrible idea. Home schooling with propaganda and field trips to see a faux Garden of Eden where Eve walks with dinosaurs is worse. Get a hold of some of their stuff and read it. Better yet, post it. Its fluff. Unimaginable
lies for a lot of it. I understand public schools blow, and one thing I live by reproductively is to always have enough money if I have kids to private school them. But, its no excuse to feed your kids lies, fail them in math education, and have almost no chance to get into top tier public/private universities. You may care about your kid, but you CANNOT shut the world out. Kids are smarter and have more persepctive than most people think. Hell, the best thing you can do to raise a good healthy kid is to watch South Park with them. The world isn't good or evil, its just how people are, and trying to put up a wall between it and a so-called "christian" world is downright abominable. Im not saying throw out Christianity, Im saying
follow it internally and don't try to enforce it externally and cheat it of its true nature.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:33 AM

"Hell, the best thing you can do to raise a good healthy kid is to watch South Park with them."

That would definitely be a matter of opinion. ;]

I think South Park is like the "Beavis and Butthead" of my generation. Sadly, most of those types that I meet today (my brother in law is a prime example), are stocking groceries at Walmart on the graveyard shift.

Huh huh..huh huh...

Granted I'm not a regular South Park viewer, but my first thought would be that if you raised a kid on South Park, he'd be spitting in your face with regularity and calling you a stupid MF'er by age 13. Maybe sooner.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Hell, the best thing you can do to raise a good healthy kid is to watch South Park with them."

That would definitely be a matter of opinion. ;]

I think South Park is like the "Beavis and Butthead" of my generation. Sadly, most of those types that I meet today (my brother in law is a prime example), are stocking groceries at Walmart on the graveyard shift.

Huh huh..huh huh...

Granted I'm not a regular South Park viewer, but my first thought would be that if you raised a kid on South Park, he'd be spitting in your face with regularity and calling you a stupid MF'er by age 13. Maybe sooner.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't be more wrong. South Park is nothing like Beavis and Butthead. Well, both are animated. South Park is a lot more grounded in reality, morality, and honest discussion than any show on television. They may be surface funny to someone uninformed, but like Stewart and Colbert are more funny when you actually know the news, South Park is a lot more funny if you actually have an education. High Satire is probably the most difficult form of art to pull off, and I put Matt and Trey right up there with Swift.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:30 PM

Kids are not as smart as you are giving them credit for being. You should consider adding child development classes to your list of reproductive prerequisites, especially if you plan to continue critiquing the parenting choices of others.

I appreciate that you are planning on exposing your kids to high satire, but you might start with Monty Python and work your way up! Just an idea!

I suspect you are more making the point that erring on the side of South Park is more desirable that erring on the side of over sheltered, uneducated, and brainwashed. I would probably agree with that, but remain in disagreement with that as a general definition of the home schooled. I speak from personal experience, I know several families who who have done a great job.

Also, South Park is funny as hell.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:42 AM

[censored] child development classes. Dobson is one of those pseudo-scientists as well. Outside South Park, if I ever have kids, which I doubt, Ill be using Emile as my main guide. Supplemented with the right mixture of fairy tales, epic, and children's novels. Maybe for the apprenticeship phase of his education Ill let Hellmuth teach him poker.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:11 PM

watch jesus camp.

This is what OBG is talking about

Obviously like was said before this is a small craqzy group of people, the 2% that get 50% of the news but its a scary documentary of the type of stuff OBG is seeing.