Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Re: I just raise/folded my flush on the turn. Wow.

I agree fold preflop. Are you an action junkie as this is only your third hand at a new table. There is no need to gamble with 76s just yet or hardly ever in this position. Then all your problems with this hand are gone.
Now either he has Ks full or AA with the good A. so 1 hand beats you the other is drawing. Call down and take your meds if he has KK.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you an action junkie

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I can be sometimes. It's one of my instincts I need to tame.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:10 AM

I have to admit, I'm a little surprised as the turn fold being identified as horrible. This is live poker, right? And the villain just 3bet (3bet! In live poker!) a flush paired board after a raise on the turn? I do bite the bullet and call down but I'm surprised to think the opinion here is that I'm good 1 in 7.

GcluelessnoobG
Old 10-16-2007, 12:55 PM

I'm not folding 76s on the button for one raise. Ever. And I'm not loose.
As played a fold is fine. The board paired. Your baby flush is now very, very vulnerable.
Nice hand.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:38 PM

I can't fold this hand, seeing that I just sat down, villain plays strange and I have a made hand.
I want to know what he has.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:52 PM

previous posts have summed this up nicely.

stop putting opponents on 1 hand (KK in this one I suppose). put them on a range. no one is good enough to make that kind of read in a limit game (nor should they be).

oh, and preflop. its at worst a small error. its not a big deal. if you think UTG has a premium hand and beating him with this hand will put him on tilt, then you probably have some +EV going for you.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
stop putting opponents on 1 hand (KK in this one I suppose). put them on a range. no one is good enough to make that kind of read in a limit game (nor should they be).

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just not KK; I suck, but I'm not retarded. I was actually thinking he had a flush too. Not that it matters; I can't beat anything that takes his line. That's the point.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just not KK; I suck, but I'm not retarded. I was actually thinking he had a flush too. Not that it matters; I can't beat anything that takes his line. That's the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point, er, problem is your basing this on seeing a total of 3 hands, him only playing 1. Unless there are other mitigating factors in his personality or his other actions at the table(which can help*) I can't see a fold here.

*I've profiled some guys w/o even seeing them play a hand. Just watching them in the room from when they walked in and went to the board(3 buds). They were pretty obvious homegame newbies and I knew I wanted on their table. Which actually proved to be quite profitable.

But even then, 3 hands/seeing 1 would've been too little to really make this fold, albeit, it'd be very close. I'd still call it out. Another thing that does is it can make them play a little more str8 forward when you're in the pot with them on later hands since they now have to think you'll call them down.

b
Old 10-16-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The point, er, problem is your basing this on seeing a total of 3 hands, him only playing 1. Unless there are other mitigating factors in his personality or his other actions at the table(which can help*) I can't see a fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I agree that I probably should have gone to showdown here. I am taking issue with the characterization of other posters that this is "bloody terrible" or somehow really, really wrong. I still think it's close.

Everyone is probably right that I'm making too big a deal out of one hand I saw him play. Sure, fine. But to think that we can conclusively say that I'm good 1 in 7 here is a stretch. I really don't think I'm good that often; close, but not that often. And when it's that close I should probably call. But I don't feel like I made a really big error.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:34 AM

3rd hand at the table? hmmm.

I can usually get a good (basic) read on the average someone after about 2 orbits(live this is much easier since you're not just watching the cards he plays) but only 3 hands? I don't know. I think I'd just pay the tuition on this one, fully expecting to lose.

Raising the flop is a nice option. Especially if he really is 'that' passive. If he 3 towns the flop it can make the turn a little easier to play.

I'd also fold preflop.

b