Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 04:01 AM

Default JhTh on button, raised pot

This hand is interesting to me because I have detailed reads on both Villain and the BB. Villain is pretty decent, plays too many hands but is above average post flop. He'll limp light in EP sometimes but if he's raising, as he is here, he'll always have something. His range in that spot is TT+, AK, AQ, IMO.

BB is worse. He's a bad player but he's bad in a weird, tricky kind of way. One of those guys that thinks that "changing gears" is a good thing to do in these games. Definitely loose, wouldn't call him passive but I wouldn't call him aggro either. UTG is typical loose passive.

Canterbury Park 6/12 full game

Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG limps, UTG+1 (Villain) raises, two folds, HJ calls, CO folds, HERO calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls

Flop (5 handed, 10.5 SB): 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB donks, UTG calls, Villain raises, HJ calls, Hero threebangs, BB calls, UTG calls, Villain calls, HJ calls

At the time I wasn't sure about this but the more I look at it I like it. I have a big draw and I think the three bet is very useful to find out if any of my overs are good and or clean outs.

Turn (STILL 5 handed, 12 BB): T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG checks, Villain donks (???), HJ folds (!), Hero raises, BB and UTG fold, Villain calls

Thoughts?

River (Heads up, 16 BB): Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain bets, Hero...

This reminded me of something I saw Kit write the other day about small stakes players generally being slow to learn about proper river folding (particularly in a big pot, like this). I don't think I'm good here hardly ever and I'm not sure what to do with my hand.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:23 AM

Default Re: JhTh on button, raised pot

Preflop seems pretty standard.

Flop, whatever play makes the pot the biggest is what I would try to do. It is sort of confusing with your two overcards, and maybe the ability to improve your overcard outs, by eliminating some players. Whatever, threebetting can't be wrong.

Turn. Seems fine.

River. The question is, should you fold or not. The test, I usually give myself, is can I imagine a hand where the villian might have played the way he did, and I might still be ahead. In this case, his preflop raise, combined with the later action, makes it seem unlikely that that hand exists. I think you can fold here, and not worry about it.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:24 AM

Oh yeah, and I was wondering what your board name is at the park. Mine is pretty original... Bob T [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 10-03-2007, 05:22 AM

yeah, I ask myself the same question and I couldn't come up with anything in the heat of battle. Maybe a badly bungled 99 but I don't think that's in his range from where he raised.

my board name is Jordan E. I'm fat and tall. You can't miss me.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:44 PM

I prefer one more caller pf before I get in there, particularly because of your read on the villain. But you have the button and hence are entitled to do whatever you want. See my posts from last night and you can tell I'm running into Aces quite a bit.....

Flop: Excellent. By the time it gets to you two players have put in 1 bet and two more have put in 2. This 3-bet is sexy. You have like 100 outs. Well, ok, probably more like 12, but that's plenty.

Turn: Can somebody explain to me why we're raising here? Villain is known to "have the goods" pf and he just took a confusing/monster-like line (raise/call, donk into the world). I think you need to improve to win, and you're not knocking out bigger flush draws or anybody with a 9. I just call here, because I don't see any value or protection coming from this raise.

River: In the heat of battle I call this river. Behind my computer with 5 minutes to think about it, you don't beat a darn thing and can fold safely.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer one more caller pf before I get in there, particularly because of your read on the villain. But you have the button and hence are entitled to do whatever you want. .....

Turn: Can somebody explain to me why we're raising here? Villain is known to "have the goods" pf. I just call here, because I don't see any value or protection coming from this raise.

River: In the heat of battle I call this river. Behind my computer with 5 minutes to think about it, you don't beat a darn thing and can fold safely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesse's got it pretty well pegged. On the river, Villian has bet into you even after you 3 banged and raised. It feels like that river Q made him happy.

OTOH, the pot is BIG. Are you a loser 90%+ of the time? Thinking it through like Jesse said, yes, with one caveat. Have you ever seen your villian try ANY BS? If so, now I call. Some players are incapable of BS = fold.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:13 PM

Turn raise made sense to me if only to clean outs and maybe give him a chance to fold. Maybe it's spewy. I thought at the time it's worth trying to get it heads up.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:14 PM

He's not capable of river BS after I've popped him at every postflop opportunity.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:30 PM

preflop: I like the call. I think there will be enough players in to make it profitable

flop: 3bet is nice. You have a ton of outs assuming that you are against an overpair so there is plenty of value in the raise.

turn: I'm still not sure here. Is the only argument for raising to clean up your outs? Like a 9? What are the negatives to raising? Facing a possible 3bet from an overpair?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:35 PM

Actually, I was thinking if I was cleaning outs that would be the jacks.