Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 03:01 PM

Default I need to go back to school and get a Master\'s. Possibly in Finance

The facts:
1. Graduated with a degree in biology 3 years ago (I'm 25 now) from your basic NY mid-tier SUNY school. Never went into that field and don't want to go into that field. I kind of regret my degree choice but it's too late now.

2. I'm currently a phone rep making about $32,000 a year (crappy, but at least I live in a low cost of living area and I have awesome benefits). And can play poker to supplement income a little bit, although post-legislation I'm not even close to a huge winner.

3. I'm putting very little money away. I can afford to pay all my bills easily and have a little fun, but I'm basically near busto and tired of telling people that I have a 4 year degree but I work as an effing phone rep.

4. I really don't want to go back to school to get another bachelor's degree. If I'm going to go back, I would much prefer to get a master's.

5. I graduated with a GPA of 3.45, so I don't think I've completely ruined my chances of getting into a Graduate program. I'm definitely willing to move out of state if the program seems good.

Now my question:

I need a master's degree in something that will actually help me get a decent paying career started. I'm thinking something like a Master's in Finance or an MBA? Obviously I would only be able to do a mid-tier school since my college background and work experience would never get me into a top school. I'm okay with that as long as I can get a job making at least 45k-50k starting and with good prospects for making more as I get more experienced.(would need higher if I move to a higher cost of living area)

I think I might like finance and I've always been good at math, which is why I was thinking that was a possibility. I took calc 1-3 and got straight A's. Took statistics, although it was through the psych department. Got an A in that too.

Thoughts and feedback on any of this?
Old 08-16-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Re: I need to go back to school and get a Master\'s. Possibly in Finance

Keep in mind that 2 years of grad school at mid level schools is going to run you like 40k per year.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: I need to go back to school and get a Master\'s. Possibly in Finance

What SUNY school out of curiosity? I go to Albany
Old 08-16-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Re: I need to go back to school and get a Master\'s. Possibly in Finan

If you find some entry level job in a field you're looking to get your masters in, the company might finance your grad school. I'm not sure if this goes on a lot today, but my Dad got a job at a bank in Chicago after graduating from Illinois that paid for his MBA in finance at Northwestern.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind that 2 years of grad school at mid level schools is going to run you like 40k per year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think some master's programs are only a year or year and half though. Although that could still be a lot.

Chillum,

Yeah, SUNY Albany.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:21 PM

Do you still live in the area? You could try going back to Albany, the business school really isn't that bad, just do alright on your GMAT's and im sure it wouldn't be a problem
Old 08-16-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you find some entry level job in a field you're looking to get your masters in, the company might finance your grad school. I'm not sure if this goes on a lot today, but my Dad got a job at a bank in Chicago after graduating from Illinois that paid for his MBA in finance at Northwestern.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but I doubt any banks would want to do this for me since I have a degree in Biology.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you still live in the area? You could try going back to Albany, the business school really isn't that bad, just do alright on your GMAT's and im sure it wouldn't be a problem

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I'm considering doing the MBA program at Albany. I've heard horror stories of people with mid-tier MBA degrees that can't find a job, but I've read that Albany MBA grads have like 95% job placement shortly after graduating. Also the tuition isn't too bad. I'd probably start at only like 45k-50k but that's a lot better than where I'm at now, and hopefully I'd have much better prospects for promotions. Plus it's not too expensive here. I pay $350 a month in rent.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:27 PM

Hah yeah, it really is SO cheap to live in albany. Im going into my Junior year and i just got an apartment on Hamilton street, 300 for rent not including utlities, still really cheap.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:33 PM

Wow, Hamilton St? Dude I just moved from Hamilton. Living in Troy now. That's so weird. So is the street you're on right next to the Times Union Center parking lot?