Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 04:40 PM

Default How can I open a Canadian/foreign bank account?

Hi - this is my first post in this particular corner of 2+2. I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

The gist of it is, my new employer is a professional online poker player and he is looking to open a bank account in a non-U.S. country. He's playing on Party (in conjunction with a Canadian friend), but is looking to legitimize his operation with his own account, probably. I don't have all the details yet, but I think that's part of it.

My question is this: What, if any, is the best way for a U.S. citizen to obtain a foreign bank account? Would some kind of proof of residence be involved, and if so, would owning property there suffice?
Old 08-23-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Re: How can I open a Canadian/foreign bank account?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi - this is my first post in this particular corner of 2+2. I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

The gist of it is, my new employer is a professional online poker player and he is looking to open a bank account in a non-U.S. country. He's playing on Party (in conjunction with a Canadian friend), but is looking to legitimize his operation with his own account, probably. I don't have all the details yet, but I think that's part of it.

My question is this: What, if any, is the best way for a U.S. citizen to obtain a foreign bank account? Would some kind of proof of residence be involved, and if so, would owning property there suffice?

[/ QUOTE ]

All you have to do is go to Canada, find your nearest RBC branch, walk in, ask to open a Canadian bank account, and that is it. Just have your drivers license and passport and you will be fine. It doesn't matter if you live in Canada or own property in Canada.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All you have to do is go to Canada,

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me stop you there. Is there a way to do this remotely?
Old 08-23-2007, 05:48 PM

Hey Warteen have you tried (or considered) going to a Canadian bank website and see if they have an online application?

I went to http://www.royalbank.com/ and the 3rd question they ask me when I do their online checking application is "Are you a Canadian resident?" I chose "No" then it continued to ask for my personal information on the following pages. I stopped there but there didn't appear to be anything stopping me from going through the whole application.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All you have to do is go to Canada,

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me stop you there. Is there a way to do this remotely?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You need to go there to sign documents. You can complete the entire application online but you still need to be physically present to sign the paperwork.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:53 PM

Ok. Looks like it's about time for a road trip, then... thanks for the info, guys.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:20 PM

Let us know how this road trip turns out. I may have to take a road trip myself...

Cheers