Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Re: I need to go back to school and get a Master\'s. Possibly in Finan

Im living on Hamilton more uptown, between Partridge and Quail, like next to St. Rose pretty much.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:52 PM

Err between Patridge and Ontario*
Old 08-16-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm okay with that as long as I can get a job making at least 45k-50k starting and with good prospects for making more as I get more experienced.(would need higher if I move to a higher cost of living area)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can demonstrate your intelligence to an employer, you can achieve this paygrade without the degree. I've work with and for people who make more than this who don't even have their bachelor's.

[ QUOTE ]
I took calc 1-3 and got straight A's. Took statistics, although it was through the psych department. Got an A in that too.

[/ QUOTE ]

A finace degree's math will probably bore you, and I'd hate to be bored without getting paid substantially for it. Have you considered law and economics or patent law? The pay will be better and (depending on how you structure your electives) the math more interesting.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:36 PM

I'd imagine that you are going to need to take a lot of prereqs given that you have a degree in bio and not math. Some kind of rigorous probability class that introduces you to measure theory, real analysis, odes, pdes, stochastic processes. I think a lot of MS finance programs also require some CS, linear algebra, etc.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd imagine that you are going to need to take a lot of prereqs given that you have a degree in bio and not math. Some kind of rigorous probability class that introduces you to measure theory, real analysis, odes, pdes, stochastic processes. I think a lot of MS finance programs also require some CS, linear algebra, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

an MBA rather than a MS would probably be the way to go since he doesn't have the undergrad background in it.

And yeah, a lot of people with MBAs from even decent b-schools have trouble getting jobs. Even if their claimed placement is 95%, you might not like what you end up with.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:49 PM

I found this pretty cool web site while googling. It lists a bunch of different MS in Finance programs. Some of them don't require a college background in Finance. They just require you to have a bachelor's degree and be able to show you're not a math/statistics tard.

Just as an example, take this MS in Finance program at R.I.T. Do you think I'd have good job prospects if I got that degree and made at least a moderate effort to network and do internships while studying there? Am I correct in thinking a mid-tier Master's in Finance would give me better job prospects than some mid-tier MBA? Any ballpark figures on what I could expect to make coming out of graduation?
Old 08-17-2007, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just as an example, take this MS in Finance program at R.I.T. Do you think I'd have good job prospects if I got that degree and made at least a moderate effort to network and do internships while studying there? Am I correct in thinking a mid-tier Master's in Finance would give me better job prospects than some mid-tier MBA? Any ballpark figures on what I could expect to make coming out of graduation?

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've seen, the best case example from an MS Finance program is that you get the same type of job you'd get from an MBA in Finance. The big advantage of the MS Finance is that it's one year, but a mid-tier MBA puts you in a way better career position.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:41 AM

I personally think you should go the MBA route. If you can get a 650-700+ on your GMAT you can get into a solid school (think way better than SUNY Albany) and get into Finance. A lot of the programs in the 20s, 30s and 40s would almost certainly take you if you scored a high 600s/700 on your GMAT. Your work experience is not great, but you do have 3 years of it, and good academic qualifications.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:28 PM

Except I only have a little over a year and a half of work experience. I forgot to mention I was a poker pro for a year. I was a winning player, but I was only making about $30-$35 an hour. Sounds good in theory but I wasn't getting any benefits and I got so tired of it after awhile, grinding any more than 20-25 hours a week was hell. So I went back and got a job and just kept poker as supplemental income.