Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 01:37 AM

Default Re: 2 things that bother me about widescreen format

I don't think you guys are understanding the problem.

1. I have no trouble fiddling with the remote to get all of the subtitles to display. However, doing so distorts the picture.

2. The broadcast is in 16:9 format because it's a HD channel. They took the standard box format and stretched it to fit the widescreen, then broadcast it that way. You think that X-Files and Northern Exposure were recorded in wide-sceen HD format? LOL.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:41 AM

I've never seen problem one, but I suspect that something is wrong on your end.

Number two is pretty easily fixed by switching your tv to 4:3 or whatever it is.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Number two is pretty easily fixed by switching your tv to 4:3 or whatever it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

So then it's not really HD and it's not 16:9 format so why would they put this crap on a HD channel and tout it as being HD? Why would I want to watch Contact in 4:3 aspect on a HD channel when it should be 16:9?
Old 07-30-2007, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So then it's not really HD and it's not 16:9 format so why would they put this crap on a HD channel and tout it as being HD? Why would I want to watch Contact in 4:3 aspect on a HD channel when it should be 16:9?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's never been HD and it never will be. Stretching it to fit doesn't make it HD. it wasn't recorded in 16:9 so you can't watch it in 16:9.

Why do you think they tout it as being HD?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:09 AM

Find out how to adjust the overscan on your set. Overscan hides the extreme hard edges of the picture sometimes along with timers and other info that nobody wants to see. About 1-2% overscan is good. Your set is probably adjusted to around 10-15% if it is chopping off the subtitles.

It will not be a remote setting. You will have to get into the service mode of your tv (usually by pressing a series of random remote buttons - look online for your code). Sometimes HD mode overscan is different than regular 4:3 mode overscan so you might have 2 settings. Make sure you know what you are adjusting in there though because you can ruin your tv if you adjust random stuff.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:13 AM

Also note that your cable box may be forcing the output into a certain format, not just your TV.

It could go like this:

Source (4:3) -> Cable box ( converts to 16:9 ) -> TV (whatever you set it at)
Old 08-13-2007, 01:13 AM

Ok I wanted to clarify what I meant with the chopped off subtitles. Sorry about the poor picture quality but it should be good enough to get my point across. Notice how I have to distort the image in order to see the full subtitles.

Here is a picture of default, non-subtitle display:

Here is a picture with subtitles turned on:

Here is a picture of my picture adjusted so I can see the full subtitles:
Old 08-13-2007, 01:16 AM

Yea I think you have a zoom on. Mess with the settings.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:18 AM

The bottom picture looks like it should. I'm guessing you are normally using some zoom thing so that the movie fills the screen but ends up looking distorted. My parents do this and its terrible.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's never been HD and it never will be. Stretching it to fit doesn't make it HD. it wasn't recorded in 16:9 so you can't watch it in 16:9.

Why do you think they tout it as being HD?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um no...almost every movie is filmed either in 16:9 or 2.35:1...at least movies that are past the 1940s/50s. The OPs issue is a TNTHD one, not a TV issue. They broadcast things that should be in HD in 4:3 and then "stretch" the picture for the 16:9 channel.

Yes if you hardcode your TV for 4:3 it will fix the problem, but the issue is TNTHD. They need to letterbox their non-HD content like every other station does, not stretch it. Or perhaps they should just stop showing converted 2.35:1 or 16:9 movies in 4:3 pan-and-scan mode stretched to 16:9 on their HD channel. If you get TNTHD check it out. It's a really poor HD channel imo.