Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 06:07 PM

Default What does WTO have that....

... these other books don't?

So the first poker books I read in order were:

Winning Low-Limit HE
SSHE
ITH

Then I bought Yao's book and for the life of me I didn't learn anything I hadn't already read in another book. Did I miss anything? Why is this book rated so highly?

I personally think the book is maybe 7/10. If you haven't read SSHE or ITH it could be considered good, but those books together pretty much cover everything you need for LHE until the middle limits+.

Can anybody tell me anything they learned that they couldn't get from the above books?
Old 06-18-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Re: What does WTO have that....

One that that's striking me as I'm rereading HEPFAP is how much of it is has me thinking "LDO". Not that it's bad, it's just that once you sort of have the base of knowledge, so much of what you do intuitively is what's covered in the book. So you might not think you've gotten anything from the book upon reexamination, but that base of knowledge is always with you.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:56 PM

You are right .. nothing.

If you want something new then Stox book will provide this, but ... everything else is just rewording and repetition.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:09 AM

What does ITO and WTO stand for?
Old 06-19-2007, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't learn anything I hadn't already read in another book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I learned to properly apply EV calculations and to coldcall with QJs after three opponents already in a raised pot.

WTO took me away from my nitty 18/6/2 style introducing blind-stealing and iso-raising.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What does ITO and WTO stand for?

[/ QUOTE ]

WTO - Weighing the odds in holdem poker (King Yao)
ITH - Internet Texas Holdem (Hilger)
Old 06-21-2007, 11:17 PM

An excellent section on shorthanded play for one, IMO it's worth the price of admission by itself.

Though you do have a point, I've found that reading about similar concepts from different points of view, explained in different ways can lead to a deeper understanding.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the first poker books I read in order were:

Winning Low-Limit HE
SSHE
ITH

Then I bought Yao's book and for the life of me I didn't learn anything I hadn't already read in another book. Did I miss anything? Why is this book rated so highly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Had you read yao's book first, the same "criticism" could be applied to the other books on your list.

Yao's book is as good as any for full ring limit play. As has been mentioned, his treatment of shorthanded play was more thorough and comprehensive than anything in print at the time his book was released.

His treatment of equity considerations is more modern in approach than the full ring hold 'em lit. which predated his book.

His use of charts presents information in a way which may be more easily understood or retained by many readers. His use of boxes and side stories to augment a point offer a mental break from the subject matter and a way to glimpse poker problems from other perspectives.

WTO is also a very versatile book and offers considerations based on game type. Yao does not take a monochromatic approach of his opponents.

At the most basic level Yao writes as well or better than most poker authors, presents his information clearly and offers solid, technicaly correct advice. A beginning player who might read only King Yao would be have the tools to play winning limit hold 'em.

Yao deserves to be considered among the best of the limit hold 'em contributors. That some readers happened to find his work after reading the solid work of others does not diminish Yao's contributions.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:43 PM

For some reason, I aslo found Yao's book to be difficult reading "technically". I don't mean in terms of strategy, I mean in terms of layout, font size, organization, etc. For some reason when I read that book my eyes glaze over and I find it hard to concentrate on what information is being presented. Maybe there is too much contrast between the shiny white paper and the glossy black ink. I also found some concepts unnecessarily convoluted (DIPO or whatever that thing is called). Who else uses that method?

But then again I find Sklansky easy reading, so I must be different than most in how I learn.

Maybe I'll give that book another read. It's been a couple of years.

I agree that his shorthanded information was new at the time.