Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 03:33 AM

Default How sick is this Mother

Just got done watching a documentary called "The Bridge" about people who kill themselves by jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge. They interview the mother of one of the suicides and her son calls her to tell that he is going to jump off the brige. She asks him to write her name and phone number on a piece of paper and put it in a plastic bag so she can be notified after they find his body. Now i know they edited it......but still.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:18 AM

Default Re: How sick is this Mother

Actually, that's a brilliant move by the mother:

MOM: ...and put it in a plastic bag.

JUMPER: Aw, Mom! I don't have a plastic bag on me!

MOM: Then go get one! You need a plastic bag! If you just put the paper in your pocket, the water will ruin it.

JUMPER: Aw, Mom, you spoil everything! You won't even let me jump off the bridge the way I want to!

MOM: But if you don't use a plastic bag, the water will ruin the paper. Then no one will know...

JUMPER: All right, all right, fine! I'm WALKING off the bridge to go get a plastic bag. Happy now?

MOM: (thinking) Damn right I'm happy that you're walking away from that bridge.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

MOM: Then go get one! You need a plastic bag! If you just put the paper in your pocket, the water will ruin it.

JUMPER: Aw, Mom, you spoil everything! You won't even let me jump off the bridge the way I want to!

MOM: But if you don't use a plastic bag, the water will ruin the paper. Then no one will know...

JUMPER: All right, all right, fine! I'm WALKING off the bridge to go get a plastic bag. Happy now?

[/ QUOTE ]

That would make a great scene in a movie.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That would make a great scene in a movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can totally see that scene in a Wes Anderson movie.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just got done watching a documentary called "The Bridge" about people who kill themselves by jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge. They interview the mother of one of the suicides and her son calls her to tell that he is going to jump off the brige.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just watched that last night. It wasn't his mother. She was a friend of the family. And I'm pretty sure she lived in a different city so I'm not so sure what she could have done?
Old 08-29-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just got done watching a documentary called "The Bridge" about people who kill themselves by jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge. They interview the mother of one of the suicides and her son calls her to tell that he is going to jump off the brige.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just watched that last night. It wasn't his mother. She was a friend of the family. And I'm pretty sure she lived in a different city so I'm not so sure what she could have done?

[/ QUOTE ]
She could call the cops. They take that [censored] seriously.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:36 PM

^ Fixed that post, you made yours between the two quotes.

As far as "not sure what she could have done", that seems like a strange line of logic. Meh, I'm nowhere near you, well anyway see you in the afterlife!

Definitely call 911.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:45 PM

What would be really cool is if Tom Cruise in the movie and he had called the person. Except it wasn't a movie and the person on the other end hung up.

Calling 911 and keeping the guy on the phone as long as possible I think would be the right move. Maybe the plastic bag was the ruse to keep him on the phone?
Old 08-29-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as "not sure what she could have done", that seems like a strange line of logic. Meh, I'm nowhere near you, well anyway see you in the afterlife!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well? I guess you would have to have seen it. She tried to help and counsel him and she knew he was troubled. But really what can you do? Call SFPD and say so and so said he was gonna jump off the bridge? What are they gonna do? What can they do?
Old 08-29-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well? I guess you would have to have seen it. She tried to help and counsel him and she knew he was troubled. But really what can you do? Call SFPD and say so and so said he was gonna jump off the bridge? What are they gonna do? What can they do?

[/ QUOTE ]
True that I didn't see it and as such am not fully qualified to comment on her efforts. But still, that I know of suicide prevention is part of the job for police and firefighters.

Furthermore, jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge is something that's fairly common so they have experience handling it and probably have a suicide prevention expert on call who could try to save the guy's life.

I just don't see how calling 911 isn't the obvious play here. If it's too late then fine, but at least she tried.