Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 11:26 PM

Default KISS principal: Virtual Canadian via Remote Desktop?

Much of the discussion on becoming a virtual canadian has involved VPN/router config/etc., but for many of us technologically knowledgable non-experts, using Windows remote desktop might be a better (simpler, less fallible) option.

Can someone please point out any potential problems in the following:

1) Find a trusted friend or relative in canada (or use another country and substitute it throughout this example). Obviously this might be a non-starter for many, but for many others it will not pose a problem.
2) purchase a computer for ~ $1000 and install windows xp pro or windows server 2003. Set up this computer at the home of the trusted friend/relative. configure software (basically two clicks of a mouse) to allow incoming remote desktop connections. install software for all poker sites (e.g., party) on this computer.
4) from the states, connect to the canadian computer via Windows Remote Desktop and play poker/withdraw to neteller/etc. to hearts content.

Is this setup likely to get detected by the poker sites? Are there other issues such as will this setup be too slow to 8 table, etc.

I've left out the part about getting a canadian bank accnt. and related things because these are covered in other threads (if you are willing to go to canada to get the account and provide your friend/relative's address then no problem).
Old 01-29-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Re: KISS principal: Virtual Canadian via Remote Desktop?

The scariest thing about these things is that if you get caught they keep your money. I don't like that esp. after reading about the way everyone except PS deals with any kind of potential scammer. Guilty - no trial.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:34 PM

Even if that works it is way more trouble than it is worth.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:59 PM

yeah. Now maybe if a company was setup that you could subscribe to that could hide your location that would be different. Though I don't know if I would trust the company not to monitor the games. Think checkpoint software has some product that is supposed to hide your computer from hackers so that all of your traffic goes through checkpoint computers. I think there is a yearly or monthly fee for this. Haven't looked into it other than seeing a 2 sentence description.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:16 AM

In time, someone will show up to provide this. Just wait until the UIGEA hits the fan; this may be the only option. It might not be Virtual Canada, but it will be virtual someplace.

Eventually, such an option may be an expensive necessity. Maybe we will even see a turnkey solution appears that is fish-friendly.

IMHO, this business of jumping from ewallet to ewallet is ultimately futile. Not just the sites, but the players themselves will go offshore.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:03 AM

What Ive been wondering for the internet option is satalite internet. There is no way of knowing where it's originating from other than the coverage area, north america.

what's the collective opinion?
Old 01-30-2007, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What Ive been wondering for the internet option is satalite internet. There is no way of knowing where it's originating from other than the coverage area, north america.

what's the collective opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd still be using an American ISP.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:46 AM

How about registering with a Canadian dialup ISP and connecting to it via a long-distance telephone connection. Since it is dialup, you should have a Canadian IP address. Yeah, the long-distance charges might be a pain but not if you used it just for banking transactions or sports bets.

What do you think?
Old 01-30-2007, 02:06 AM

Actually, when I was in Iraq, we had many different IP addresses, we had dishes using Italian, Russian and German internet providers. We ended up routing the German one through Philadelphia because everytime someone bought something via the internet, the credit card company freaked out because the purchase was made from Italy/Russia/Germany, so we made that one look like it was located in Philadelpia. I remember having an interesting conversation with Party, about where I was located. I just told them I couldnt actually say where I was, but it should look like I am in Germany. This was before the pullout tho.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about registering with a Canadian dialup ISP and connecting to it via a long-distance telephone connection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Occam's razor suggests this is the best answer, IMHO.

Vonage has free calls to Canada and -- believe it or not -- dialup modems seem to work on it.