Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Broaden the types of stem cell research allowed with federal funds _ "I hope with a veto-proof major
I Support This 92 81.42%
I Don't Support This 13 11.50%
I'm Ambivalent 8 7.08%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Re: where do you think brady will stand among the all time greats?

[ QUOTE ]
Is Moss signed beyond this year or will they have to extend his contract?

[/ QUOTE ]

currently signed for just this year
Old 10-22-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that Moss has finally matured into a team player rather than the "Me, first" prima donna that he's been for the majority of his career.

You don't see him running off his mouth like he used to. You don't see him getting in trouble off the field like he used to. But you sure see him taking care of business on the field and he is doing it without all the theatrics.

TO and Chad Johnson could learn a few things from his change in attitude. TO has improved somewhat this season in this regard and even Chad said he is foregoing his celebrations until his team hits .500 (which means we don't have to worry about him celebrating until 2008).

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see...Moss and TO have been pains in ass their entire career. Suddenly both are on teams that are winning. Also, suddenly they are perfect gentlemen. I don't think it's a presonality change at all in either guy. If their teams starting sucking, they'd be the first to start pointing fingers and acting up.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:46 PM

I am 38 years old and saw Montana, Elway and Marino in their primes. I was a kid but I saw a good bit of Staubach and Bradshaw.

I think when all is said and done, Manning and Brady will be the two greatest quarterbacks of all time.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:37 PM

I voted "not a top 10" just to add some flavor to the results.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:39 PM

I can't include the old-timers I've never seen, but among the ones I have seen, he's at minimum top 5, maybe top 3.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:33 PM

I love watching both Manning and Brady play (and hopefully Cutler eventually). The little thing that always stands out to me about Brady is his pocket presence. By that, I mean, he has perfect timing at negating backside pressure by stepping forward just as the rusher goes flying by. It happens almost every game; they get into 3rd and long, Brady takes a deep drop, rusher comes flying around the backside, Brady takes a step forward at the last second and throws a bullet for a first down as the rusher dives into empty space. He does this better than anyone I've ever seen play.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:59 PM

I'm all for making them public heroes, but quarterbacks are overrated.

The performance of a quarterback must be manipulated. To a degree coaching can make a quarterback, and it certainly is the most important factor for his success. The design of the team's offense is the key to a quarterback's performance. One has to be tuned to the other.

A head coach really is the game. Everybody else are production people in his show.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs developed the two tight end offense and the position of h-back to prevent Taylor from blitzing into the backfield unhindered.[41][72] As Gibbs stated, "[w]e had to try in some way have a special game plan just for Lawrence Taylor. Now you didn't do that very often in this league but I think he's one person that we learned the lesson the hard way. We lost ball games."[41] His skills at outside linebacker forced other coaches to retool their offensive schemes to manage his impact. In the late 70's and early 80's, a blitzing linebacker was almost always picked up by a running back. However, these players were usually no match for Taylor.[73] The tactic employed by Bill Walsh in the 1982 playoffs, namely of employing an offensive guard to block Taylor, began to be copied around the league. This move, however, left a hole in the offensive protection that a middle linebacker could exploit. Later, Walsh and other coaches began using offensive left tackles to block Taylor. Although Taylor made adjustments to his game to remain dominant, it soon became common in the NFL for offensive linemen to pick up blitzing linebackers, such as Taylor. In addition to the changes in offensive schemes Taylor influenced, he also introduced new defensive techniques to the game such as chopping the ball out of the quarterback's hands rather than tackling him.[68]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_taylor

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, much of this is correct.
Before the 1982 playoff game verse the Giants, I was motivated to show that my offense could pass even with Lawrence Taylor on the other side of the ball and pledged to throw the ball on 17 of the first 22 plays. I called up my good friend, Eagles coach Dick Vermeil, and asked how he had handled Taylor. Unfortunately, he hadn't handled him well. Despite having a very good left tackle in Stan Walters, Taylor played fits with the Eagles' passing game and Ron Jaworski was hit repeatedly and hard. Our left tackle, Dan Audick, was not as good as Walters and not quick or strong enough to handle Taylor. None of the 49er TEs or RBs were strong enough to handle Taylor, but I needed them running pass routes anyway. What I did have was a very mobile left guard, John Ayers. John was a West Texas Cowboy that would wrestle steers and such in the off-season. Fortunate for my team, Lawrence Taylor would tip off when he would rush the passer. I instructed Ayers the entire week leading up to the game that his duty was to drop back and help on Taylor if he was pass rushing. It worked beautifully. The offense passed at will. Taylor got frustrated. Parcells didn't make the necessary adjustments, blitzing linebackers such as Carson up the middle, until the next season. By that time, I had my Super Bowl, I released my left tackle, and set to draft the new breed of left tackles, big and quick, with the first pick in the following draft.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:21 PM

Assani,

So Brady is by far the best player to ever play in the NFL and is just revealing it this year?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I made a long post in the other thread. About this
Cliff notes:
Manning has had 5 MVP seasons 3 other excellent seasons 1 mediocre season
Brady has had 0 MVP seasons and 4 excellent seasons and 3 above average seasons

Anyone who thinks Brady>>>> Manning is stupid and can't provide any decent argument other than RIIIIIIINNNNNNGSSSSS

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that if Brady keeps pace this season this will be far and away the most valuable season ever by a QB? Like if you could take Bonds ~04 and Pedro ~99 and meld them into a quasi-LFer/SP. You'd have what Brady is doing currently.

Brady as far as a greater player is such a significant amount behind Peyton that'd he needs to keep pace this season and put together 5-8 solid seasons after to really be considered in that upper echelon.

Assuming that happens... Of course he's a reasonable shot for top player all time. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

except well there is over 50% of the season left to playout

right now its more like only taking the second half of Santana in 04 and pretend he played that way the whole year