Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-24-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Re: So I\'m going to Prison for 2 years

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never understood the vehement anti drunk driving rants, people acting like it's one of the more horrible acts a person can commit

Of course it is reckless and irresponsibile, but to get worked up to the point where you wish someone excessive jail time, to feel the anger and disgust you feel towards those who rape and kill just seems bizarre to me. Unless, of course, you lost someone to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is that is a very easily avoided crime. Don't [censored] drive while drunk, its not hard. It's not a crime of passion, or being in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Its a crime of putting everyone else's life in danger so you don't have to call a cab or spend the night in a hotel. The fact that drunk driving is so easily preventable and that it can cause so much damage is what bothers ppl the most

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, itīs not "well said". OP didnīt intend to endanger people, in fact he was honestly believing that he would never drive drunk again after the first incident, and yet he was not able to prevent it from happening again. He isnīt even able to remember that the incident heīs convicted for even took place, so while it may have been "possible" for him to prevent it by not getting drunk in the first place, for some people doing so is far from "easy".

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, so people aren't responsible for their actions while drunk? because this seems to be the assumption in your argument.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:54 PM

Smiley, I'm an idiot and retarded, addressing idiotic retards is a waste of time IMO so just stop addressing me plz.

ikes, my obsession with the injustice is based off of many, many first and secondhand accounts of people being pulled over for no reason and ending up getting busted for DUI even though they were completely unaware they were over the legal limit. This tells me that people have no idea how artificially low .08 is. If any of these people remotely thought that they were over the legal limit they either wouldn't have driven or would have refused tests.

I feel I want the road cleared of impaired drivers as badly as you do. I also think a lot of you live in places where BS pullovers are not the norm, not in Scottsdale, AZ, where cops swarm like flies over horse [censored] to pull over people who they see coming out of bars. It gets old after awhile, and people get pissed.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is true, but what happens to an alcoholic / someone who drinks constantly is you can have a lot more beers before you blow a .08; eg it might take you 2-3, while an alcoholic might be able to have 6 or 7 beers and blow a .0698 or something

[/ QUOTE ]

false

[/ QUOTE ]

actually it's true, but thanks for playing

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this is false. Just because a person is an alcoholic doesn't mean that they're going to absorb alcohol any less than a non-alcoholic. The alcoholic can just tolerate various levels of alcohol in their blood moreso than the non-alcoholic. Look up the definition of 'tolerance' for further clarification. Or you could just argue with people on 2+2 endlessly.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is true, but what happens to an alcoholic / someone who drinks constantly is you can have a lot more beers before you blow a .08; eg it might take you 2-3, while an alcoholic might be able to have 6 or 7 beers and blow a .0698 or something

[/ QUOTE ]

false

[/ QUOTE ]

actually it's true, but thanks for playing

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this is false. Just because a person is an alcoholic doesn't mean that they're going to absorb alcohol any less than a non-alcoholic. The alcoholic can just tolerate various levels of alcohol in their blood moreso than the non-alcoholic. Look up the definition of 'tolerance' for further clarification. Or you could just argue with people on 2+2 endlessly.

[/ QUOTE ]

science >>>>>> you

sorry, try again
Old 11-24-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

ikes, my obsession with the injustice is based off of many, many first and secondhand accounts of people being pulled over for no reason and ending up getting busted for DUI even though they were completely unaware they were over the legal limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

you know all those poker bad beats stories you hear, do you actually believe all of them? People like to dress themselves up in the best way possible to the outside world, even if you are their best friend or some stranger at the bar
Old 11-24-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are two types of tolerance at work with alcohol. The first is metabolic tolerance in which the alcohol is metabolized at a higher rate (up to 72% more quickly) in chronic users. Because of the higher metabolic rate for alcohol lower peak blood alcohol concentrations are achieved by chronic alcohol users than the average drinker when the same amount of alcohol is ingested.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.intox.com/physiology.asp
Old 11-24-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never understood the vehement anti drunk driving rants, people acting like it's one of the more horrible acts a person can commit

Of course it is reckless and irresponsibile, but to get worked up to the point where you wish someone excessive jail time, to feel the anger and disgust you feel towards those who rape and kill just seems bizarre to me. Unless, of course, you lost someone to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is that is a very easily avoided crime. Don't [censored] drive while drunk, its not hard. It's not a crime of passion, or being in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Its a crime of putting everyone else's life in danger so you don't have to call a cab or spend the night in a hotel. The fact that drunk driving is so easily preventable and that it can cause so much damage is what bothers ppl the most

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, itīs not "well said". OP didnīt intend to endanger people, in fact he was honestly believing that he would never drive drunk again after the first incident, and yet he was not able to prevent it from happening again. He isnīt even able to remember that the incident heīs convicted for even took place, so while it may have been "possible" for him to prevent it by not getting drunk in the first place, for some people doing so is far from "easy".

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, so people aren't responsible for their actions while drunk? because this seems to be the assumption in your argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I was saying that for many people it isnīt easy to avoid losing control drinking and doing dangerous things as a result. Where did I mention anything about "responsibility"?
Old 11-24-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know you aren't suggesting that standards for driving drunk should be affected by tolerance, right? 5 beers in an alcoholic may affect him less than me, but it still affects him significantly negatively.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then let's go straight to zero tolerance laws, right? Obviously how affected a person is is very important, and the law is set based on estimates of where on average a good line is. This is just because there isn't really a better way to do it.

Do you guys ever speed? Have conversations while driving (I won't even get into cell phones)?
Old 11-24-2007, 06:59 PM

it clearly implies that you think that OP should be punished severely because he was blackout.... aka he's not responsible for his actions because he was blackout.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are two types of tolerance at work with alcohol. The first is metabolic tolerance in which the alcohol is metabolized at a higher rate (up to 72% more quickly) in chronic users. Because of the higher metabolic rate for alcohol lower peak blood alcohol concentrations are achieved by chronic alcohol users than the average drinker when the same amount of alcohol is ingested.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.intox.com/physiology.asp

[/ QUOTE ]

ikestoys: acknowledge that through science I just pwned you