Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Razz -- worst hand wins on Absolute

[ QUOTE ]
I've never played on Absolute and I see no reason to start now. If this were how they determined the bring-in, it would be grossly unfair to people closer to the dealer's left. You can go a long time without having the same high board in two places from fourth on. There are going to be matching low cards on third street a lot. But if these guys don't know what beats what, who knows what else they've screwed up.

[/ QUOTE ]
My sentiments exactly. Although, my sources tell me that Absolute is working on the problem behind the scenes so I will update this thread when I find out anything new.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if AA where the highest pair (it's not, it's the lowest, right above KQJT9) hero doesn't have to play AA, he could play 33 which beats 44.

And no, this is not in question. Hero's hand is the winner by anyone's standards except, in this case, absolute's.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really the important part of why this is so [censored] up for those that still don't get it...

-ChipsAhoya
Old 09-08-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL AbsolutePokeraments

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that's "Screwupaments" - but I may be mistaken.....
Old 09-08-2007, 07:19 PM

It occurs to me that Absolute won't be announcing any changes in their rules. Thay will implement them quietly but don't expect an email to your friend. Why admit they got it wrong with perhaps some liability for hands played. They can just do what any good politician would do. Change horses in midstream and act like that was the way it always was.

Patty
Old 09-08-2007, 11:29 PM

If all the players at showdown can not each show 5 uniquely ranked cards, the lowest pairing card(s) must be added to the 4 unique ranks of each others hands**. These pairs must be compared and the lowest is the winner. If two players share the same pair, the remaining 4 cards must be compared to determine the winner(or tie). The comparing of pairs must include the possibility all players at showdown have two pair, and that this will lose to any one pair hand.

**The worst 5 card hand, from the 7 dealt, someone can have is two pair. When the best possible 5 card hand is two pair, the number of uniquely ranked cards will be 3 and two pairing cards must be added to create a 5 card hand. The comparison of paired cards algorithm must be run twice if all parties at showdown can not represent a hand better then AA234(the best single paired hand).

Something I wrote not long ago in a report. This would be the way I would write a program.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
**The worst 5 card hand, from the 7 dealt, someone can have is two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't read the rest, but wrong assertion. JJJ4444, the lowest hand is 444JJ (a full house).
Old 09-09-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't read the rest, but wrong assertion. JJJ4444, the lowest hand is 444JJ (a full house).

[/ QUOTE ]

Full houses don't count in Razz - that is, they are considered not to exist. So, 444JJ is actually two pair with a 4, written JJ444 which would win compared to JJ445. (Of course, if one did have a full house, the other player couldn't have the same 2 pairs - obviously. The illustration is theoretical.)
Old 09-09-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Full houses don't count in Razz - that is, they are considered not to exist. So, 444JJ is actually two pair with a 4, written JJ444 which would win compared to JJ445. (Of course, if one did have a full house, the other player couldn't have the same 2 pairs - obviously. The illustration is theoretical.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow... this is the first I've ever heard of that. Can you provide a source?

PokerStar's rules explicitly list 55532 as the worst hand from their examples (worse that KK432). So, at least in their implementation, trips exists and should be counted as worse than two pair. Presumably full houses exist as well, though we could ask.

In A-5 lowball draw, full houses and trips certainly do exist.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:29 AM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanna play against that hand. kthksbye
Old 09-09-2007, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow... this is the first I've ever heard of that. Can you provide a source?

PokerStar's rules explicitly list 55532 as the worst hand from their examples (worse that KK432). So, at least in their implementation, trips exists and should be counted as worse than two pair. Presumably full houses exist as well, though we could ask.

In A-5 lowball draw, full houses and trips certainly do exist.

[/ QUOTE ]
AFAIK full houses do exist, tho if Prax or anyone with a reliable source says otherwise I can be convinced. Trips, however, do not and the pokerstars example hand you quoted is impossible to play at showdown.