Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: 80/160 Stud 8 simple 4th street spot

fold.

you can't always outplay the worst player on the table.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:03 PM

You still have to let this go. That's just how stud 8 works; you should be playing pretty weakly until you get in a dominating position, then you jam hard.

FWIW, I don't know if this mixed game would suit your playing style very well.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:24 PM

really? not taking one off here with 245 seems pretty weak especially considering his 2 undercards could be almost anything.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You still have to let this go. That's just how stud 8 works; you should be playing pretty weakly until you get in a dominating position, then you jam hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what my playing style is exactly but I play all games but holdem pretty straightforward other than BT which I am feeling in live games that it is better to snow if I don't get there after the second draw because nobody thinks anybody is snowing.

Mike L told me I'm a mixed game fish too, or at least a Stud 8 fish. Completely based on this hand.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:24 PM

if he called you a fish based on you peeling 4th, i must say im confused. i almost always peel one with 245. villain didn't even catch that great a card. the only hands we're actually somewhat in trouble against are medium or bigger pairs and trips, which are a pretty small portion of his range.

there are a lot of cards we can get on 4th street that give us a chance to win the whole pot too. any A, 3, 6 gives us the best low draw and straight outs, a T gives us the best hi most likely w/ bd low draw, and a 2 4 or 5 wouldn't be terrible unless villain hits good.

also based on description, we can def count on getting paid if we hit and that he will continue to draw to a worse low if we catch good.

edit: also it isn't great if he has Ace low underneath, but again given OP's description, these hands make up a small portion of villain's calling range.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:34 PM

Yes my argument was basically "villain is terrible, a/3/6 completely live" and "would you fold if the game was HU?"

However basically everyone has said I should fold here quickly but should call quickly if my hand featured an Ace. I guess I might be wrong, it certainly wouldn't be the first time.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:49 PM

HU dynamic makes the game and situation much different. (edit: if the game is HU, not the hand)

I would still fold even if I had an Ace down. Think about possible 5th and 6th street scenarios. They are either bad, or not great. You only invested one small bet, let it go bro!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
HU dynamic makes the game and situation much different. (edit: if the game is HU, not the hand)

I would still fold even if I had an Ace down. Think about possible 5th and 6th street scenarios. They are either bad, or not great. You only invested one small bet, let it go bro!

[/ QUOTE ]

folding A baby baby here would be brutal

oh and im not sure what ur talking about when u say 5th and 6th is eaither not great or bad. what about when we have the low locked up and are freerolling? what about when we have pair of aces (most likely best hi hand) and best low draw? what about when we hit a wheel!?!
Old 10-18-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what my playing style is exactly but I play all games but holdem pretty straightforward other than BT which I am feeling in live games that it is better to snow if I don't get there after the second draw because nobody thinks anybody is snowing.

Mike L told me I'm a mixed game fish too, or at least a Stud 8 fish. Completely based on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point about this particular mix of games is that they don't suit your natural playing style. Stud 8 and Omaha 8 don't favor many of the very aggressive plays you tend to make (which work very well in hold em and even stud hi). Why would you waste your time in a mix game where 2/4 games take you out of your comfort zone and the other two are really straightforward gamble fests?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

folding A baby baby here would be brutal

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm with you on this. i don't think i can let the worst player on the table get away that easily when his down cards can be any two. this is also with the assumption that the implied odds are there if HOWMANY catches an ace.