Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 03:01 PM

Default If my VPN connection goes down, what happens?

I use a routing table that is like this:

route add 88.80.x.xx mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.4.1
route delete 0.0.0.0
route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 88.80.y.yy

If my VPN-server goes down, will my traffic go the "normal" route to let's say Party Poker, or will it just disconnect (which I want it to do)?
Old 04-20-2007, 06:29 PM

Default Re: If my VPN connection goes down, what happens?

generally it will just go your normal route. take extra steps to keep that from happening
Old 04-20-2007, 11:33 PM

do you have two internet connections?
Old 04-21-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do you have two internet connections?

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm.....well, ywah, OP would. #1: his ISP, be it PPPOE or whatever to his ISP. #2: the VPN (another PPP connection using the VPN's gateway as their own, hence more or less another internet connection as far as the rest of the globe is concerned).

yeah, what Freakin said.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:20 AM

I see what he means now, but I think there is just one Internet connection involved and that is he connecting to a VPN server over that line.

The way I see it, if he has a session running over a vpn to party poker or whatever, and the vpn server drops, he will still be on the internet but with a different IP address than he had while communicating over the secure vpn. The connection with PP would drop and he would have to re-establish the connection and log in again he would not still be logged in as he was over the vpn.

I don't think additional steps have to be taken. Why would they?
Old 04-21-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see what he means now, but I think there is just one Internet connection involved and that is he connecting to a VPN server over that line.

The way I see it, if he has a session running over a vpn to party poker or whatever, and the vpn server drops, he will still be on the internet but with a different IP address than he had while communicating over the secure vpn. The connection with PP would drop and he would have to re-establish the connection and log in again he would not still be logged in as he was over the vpn.

I don't think additional steps have to be taken. Why would they?

[/ QUOTE ]

a lot of software attempts to automatically reconnect when it drops. additional steps ABSOLUTELY have to be take
Old 04-21-2007, 03:03 PM

I'm not sure what would happen w/ the windoze routing table if you manually do the route commands. First off, you'd have to use the -p switch to make the routes persistent. More importantly, is what does windoze internally decide to do for the assumed stupid user when the VPN goes down. I wouldn't be surprised if windoze goes "Hey, the VPN dropped and that's where my gateway was! Now I have these packets wanting to go out to the interwebs and my default route is down! What am I to do?? I know! I'll go back to using the gateway of the LAN connection. The user won't even know I'm doing them this favor! I'm so good!"

Meanwhile, you're on PP, the VPN drops, routing tables are automagically changed, and your PP client now tried to immediately reconnect from your home IP 1500 miles away in the US.

Instafreeze.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:49 PM

Well, I see what you are saying but the vpn could not have been the default gateway for the PC because the pc needs the real gateway to get to the vpn concentrator.

Per the windows routing table he could add a route statement for the target subnet...but why go through all that? Unless its a big secret or something or a matter of legality?

If the vpn drops, then the session with the PC is dropped, when the client goes to automatically reconnect to PP or whatever it will have a completely different IP address and a login prompt will appear, then just don't log in if you don't want to.

I suppose it could 'freeze' and that would not be desirable, but if thats going to happen it will happen with or without another default route.

You could test it by establishing a session via vpn and then closing the vpn client.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I see what you are saying but the vpn could not have been the default gateway for the PC because the pc needs the real gateway to get to the vpn concentrator.

Per the windows routing table he could add a route statement for the target subnet...but why go through all that? Unless its a big secret or something or a matter of legality?

If the vpn drops, then the session with the PC is dropped, when the client goes to automatically reconnect to PP or whatever it will have a completely different IP address and a login prompt will appear, then just don't log in if you don't want to.

I suppose it could 'freeze' and that would not be desirable, but if thats going to happen it will happen with or without another default route.

You could test it by establishing a session via vpn and then closing the vpn client.

[/ QUOTE ]

trust me when I say that automatic reconnections are common for many pieces of software, and they don't always ask you to click "login" again.

anyone using a VPN is HIGHLY advised to protect themselves from this kind of problem; it could be very costly
Old 04-21-2007, 09:06 PM

meh. They auto-reconnect.

Auto Reconnect.

AUTO RECONNECT

AUTO RECONECT

[ QUOTE ]
au·to·mat·ic [aw-tuh-mat-ik] –adjective

1. having the capability of starting, operating, moving, etc., independently: an automatic sprinkler system; an automatic car wash.

[/ QUOTE ]

meaning no *prompt* for login...it'll just AUTOMATICALLY login...meaning your account suddenly says "Hey!! I was just kidding earlier...I'm really in the US!" which is far more realistic than "Hey! Remember me? The player in country <x>? I'm playing a joke on you now and connecting from a banned country. Aren't I funny?"

Instalock of acct, very likely loss of most if not all funds, and a bunch of time fighting to *maybe* get a few pennies on the dollar of what you had in there.

*sigh*

That's how it is. You may chose to believe me or not. Have fun.

Edit:: should have been Re: BBill, not Re: Freakin.

Re-Edit:: This line led me to believe there may still be confusion:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In OP you say [ QUOTE ]
route delete 0.0.0.0
route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 88.80.y.yy

[/ QUOTE ]

which deletes your default route and adds a new default route.

Just to be certain an important basic of networking isn't overlooked here, 0.0.0.0 is your default route. The default route is your gateway. The gateway is the route added for 0.0.0.0. The default route is the route for 0.0.0.0.

So you change the gateway. Next, the VPN drops. Next, windoze decides to "fix" the problem of the gateway going down by trying the gateway of the LAN (which it needed to connect to the VPN in the first place, as you've stated earlier).

Wait...let me reword that.

So you change the default route. Next, the VPN drops. Next, windoze decides to "fix" the problem of the gateway going down by trying the gateway of the LAN (which it needed to connect to the VPN in the first place, as you've stated earlier).

Oh, wait...need to re-word that again:

So you change the route for 0.0.0.0. Next, the VPN drops. Next, windoze decides to "fix" the problem of the gateway going down by trying the gateway of the LAN (which it needed to connect to the VPN in the first place, as you've stated earlier).

Oh..never mind. They all say the same thing.