Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 01:54 AM

Default reaching localhost:8085

Not really knowing what I'm doing at all, I'm trying to set up a proxy with HoTTProxy. I run the configuration utility and it tells me to go to http://localhost:8085/ . but my browser can never load that page. it times out. I turn off ZoneAlarm. No help. And I do have a wireless router (running ethernet through it--old belkin). I figure it must be the router? But I can't see anywhere to make progress (and I've usually been able to figure out things before...). any idea? thanks.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:47 AM

Default Re: reaching localhost:8085

My server skills are pretty poor in general and I was usually the guy telling ops to restart the server and try again (hey that works sometimes, go computer voodoo [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) -- anyways, since your not getting any responses I will take a swing, just don't expect much.

Presumably you started the admin console using one of the methods below and it said hit localhost:8085 -- that is what you are describing, correct?

Ok, lets get the dumb suggestion/question out of the way -- you are using a browser on the same computer that you are running the admin console on right?

Assuming that is the case, you could try editing the config file to use a different port -- it is possible that 8085 is bound to some other program though I would expect the admin console to barf something if it couldn't properly bind the socket. Also if there is a log for the console try checking it for errors.

[ QUOTE ]

To run HoTTProxy_Admin you can either:

* Open a command prompt (Start, Run, type 'cmd.exe', press [ENTER])
* cd c:\HoTTProxy [ENTER]
* HoTTProxy_Admin [ENTER]

- or -

* Go to C:\HoTTProxy in Windows Explorer (Start, Run, type 'C:\HoTTProxy', press [ENTER])
* Double click on HoTTProxy_Admin.exe (if your OS isn't set to show 'file extensions' then you may not see the '.exe' part, but it will be the file with the little world icon).

Unless you get an error, you should get a screen that tells you the daemon is running and what port URL to use to access it (e.g. http://localhost:8085).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-12-2007, 10:10 AM

Sounds to me like you're trying to run a proxy server on your local machine. There are few instances where this is what you'd want. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Changing your apparent IP address? Filtering ads? Filtering questionable code?
Old 04-12-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds to me like you're trying to run a proxy server on your local machine. There are few instances where this is what you'd want. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Changing your apparent IP address? Filtering ads? Filtering questionable code?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he is trying to get to a configuration console or something to change settings.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:43 PM

yes trying to run the proxy server on my home machine to facilitate occasional mobile browsing (cell phone or pda) when not on a regular data plan. it's a "workaround" shall we say. The idea of changing the port makes sense, but when I start the config utility it seems to think that it is active on that port and I should be able to navigate right to it. considering how little I know about this, I'm probably better off forgetting it--which I pretty much have done. but it did seem strange that I couldn't make the connection. thanks for replies.