Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Can\'t get open-VPN to work. Help needed!

I'm trying to get an open-VPN connection to work, but I'm having problems. I hope they can be solved though.

I'm connecting to a server that told me to use this configuration file:

-----
ifconfig 88.80.12.53 255.255.255.192
port 5054
remote 88.80.7.34
dev tap
comp-lzo
ping 15
verb 3
-----

I manage to get open-VPN to connect to the server. That is good. But when I browse the internet the traffic doesn't go through the VPN.

From what I've read it seems I need to create some routing rules to make the traffic go through the VPN. Now we come to the things I haven't been able to find out on my own and need help with.

I want to use multiple(2) VPN's from behind one router. Given that, should I create the routing rules on the router or inside the OS? Does it matter?

I'm using:
router: Linksys WRT54GS

Depending on where the routing rules need to be created my follow-up questions will be what routing rules I need to create and how.

Thank you very much for the help!
Old 04-11-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Can\'t get open-VPN to work. Help needed!

Generally, it's the server side that will push the appropriate routes to the clients. You shouldn't have to do anything on your end; it's the server-side that needs more configuration. That can get complicated and much more info would be needed (how many public IP's on the VPN server, do clients get private IP addresses, does client traffic need to hit the internet from the VPN server's IP or do they need their own world-visible IP, are multiple people using the same VPN server to route internet traffic, is it all right if they appear to the world to have the same IP, etc...stuff like that.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:23 PM

Are there any cons with me having to do the routing myself? I don't think they are up for more configuration. These guys are unfortunately not guys I know and can talk to. They are a commercial company that is hosting thepiratebay amongst other things.

If I have to do the routing and forwarding myself, do you have any ideas to what I need to do?
Old 04-12-2007, 12:54 AM

If they're telling you that you need to do the routing on your end, then they're doing something wrong. They have to route the traffic out on their end.

No one that I've set up has needed anything other than the files I give them to connect and a properly configured server.