Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2006, 06:12 PM

Default party poker stock price dropping

I have no experience with investing so this might be completely wrong, but I was wondering why Party and other online gaming stocks went down so much over night. This was obviously going to happen so why didn't people get out early. It seems this is a counter example to the Effecient Market Theory. All I know about investing I read in a Random Walk down Wall Street so I could be and probably am completely wrong, but I was just wondering why this happened.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:18 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 10-02-2006, 06:26 PM

Default Re: party poker stock price dropping

There's no such thing as the Effecient Market Theory. If there exists one, all these poker sites' stocks wouldn't *collapse* like this.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:33 PM

You should probably read the posts in the Internet Gaming forum about how Party and pretty much every other poker site is very close to having to close their doors to all US customers. That might just be a little bit detrimental to their stock prices.

[ QUOTE ]
I have no experience with investing so this might be completely wrong, but I was wondering why Party and other online gaming stocks went down so much over night. This was obviously going to happen so why didn't people get out early. It seems this is a counter example to the Effecient Market Theory. All I know about investing I read in a Random Walk down Wall Street so I could be and probably am completely wrong, but I was just wondering why this happened.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-02-2006, 06:42 PM

When is the time to buy up?
Will the stock drop much further?
Old 10-02-2006, 07:03 PM

Was is possible to buy put options on some of these stocks? Like party gaming, sporting bet, and neteller.. If anyone had they would have made a fortune.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:14 PM

I am thinking the same exact thing...my guess is that Party will continue to drop upon the day Bush signs the law but after that who knows what will happen.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no such thing as the Effecient Market Theory. If there exists one, all these poker sites' stocks wouldn't *collapse* like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

ZOMG you're right. There are never anomalies.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:45 PM

I'd stay away from party and the other online stocks. 77% of party's revenue comes from US customers, so the company's stock has been devastated.

There are much better investments out there that do not carry the clear risks that this sector has recently experienced. Never be a hero.

I don't see how this is a violation of EMT. The Congress passed the law and only had two nays, so it's veto proof.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:12 PM

I understand the reason, I just don't understand why the stock didn't drop before the bill was passed since it was obvious that the bill would pass in a short time.